[comp.sys.amiga] SimCity and ELITE update

                          SimCity & Elite UPDATE

Interesting new developments ....

-------
SimCity
-------

Thanks to all the input from others in this newsgroup, the problem has been
verified to be 100% attributable to the number of floppies mounted on one's
Amiga system and NOT to the CPU.

As I was returning the software to the dealer today, who should walk in but
Jay Miner.  We chatted for a few minutes, and he, too, was puzzled why SimCity
bombs on a system with more than 1 floppy drive.  He stated: "I wonder why they
would check that" and "I wonder what they're doing."  My thoughts, precisely.
Especially since running GfxMem at the same time as SimCity clearly showed that
CHIP memory was NOT being exhausted.  Sheesh.

Attempting to boot SimCity on the dealer's systems, it simply would NOT boot
(NOTE the plural: systemS.) This included several A1000, an A500, and several
A2500).  All the systems had multiple floppies (among other things).  Because
of the feedback in this newsgroup, I decided to try it one more time at the
office after removing all external floppies; it worked.  Just tried it a few
moments ago on my lab Amiga (a 68020 Ronin) after removing all the external
floppies; it worked.  Powering down to run this test, however, was "painful"
since power cycling ANY system tends to reduce its lifetime (and the last time
I powered down the lab Amiga was in March).

So I decided to keep this one (esp. since the Pres. of Maxis will be at FAUG
on Tuesday and this makes for interesting conversation :-)

Because Maxis WILL fix the bug with SimCity, it can no longer be called a
turkey; it IS a nice simulation.

-----
ELITE
-----

This abomination, however, is pure CRAP.  Again, at the dealer, inserting the
disk into an A2500, booting alternately with "68000" or "68020", it would work
on the "68000", and fail (same rainbow screen as with my Ronin) with "68020".
We cycled 6 times, same results every time.  ELITE is brain-damaged.

At least my C=64 version of Elite still works.  And the dealer allowed me to
swap the ELITE for the latest 10 Fish Disks (at least THESE work on Amigas! :-)

What IS it with some of these games?  Too much C=64 mentality?  How 'bout
"CRAZY CARS", which JSRs *DIRECTLY* into the $FCnnnn address space ... works
only on 1.2 and not 1.3 "Kickstart".   Cretins.

------------------------------
By the way, since Rick Unland was asking about Amiga dealers, my vote (for the
Silicon Valley area) goes to HT Electronics (of Sunnyvale, CA).  And I'd
definitely recommend Winners' Circle (of Berkeley) for the "North Bay."

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (06/19/89)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>-----
>ELITE
>-----

>This abomination, however, is pure CRAP.  Again, at the dealer, inserting the
>disk into an A2500, booting alternately with "68000" or "68020", it would work
>on the "68000", and fail (same rainbow screen as with my Ronin) with "68020".
>We cycled 6 times, same results every time.  ELITE is brain-damaged.

My version of ELITE (I regret the 90,- DM I paid) shows something different.
It crashes on A1000 and A2000 (the game continues to run but the screen
is garbled) and runs on an A500 and my A1000 with 68020 (altough I had
to disable the cache to get a clean picture), I didn't check this with
32bit mem.
Maybe the A1000/A2000 machines are slower than the A500, thus
missing the point to restore the bitmap pointers.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv