[comp.sys.amiga] NUISANCE OR PROBLEM?

rob.sudbury@canremote.uucp (ROB SUDBURY) (06/13/89)

Okay gang, here is a simple question for you all to help me figure out.
I am not a programmer, but a skilled user.  I have had my Amiga for 2
years now, and happily with the advent of kickstart 1.3, and Workbench
1.3, I expanded my system with a 64meg ST-277N SCSI HD and have had fun
setting up startup-sequences with this new DOS.

With or without the hard drive or controller hooked up I keep getting
`pure bit not set' feeds on the CLI startup screen with my
startup-sequence.  WHY?  Here it is:

C:CD C:
AddBuffers DF0: 10
AddBuffers DF1: 10
AddBuffers DH0: 10
AddBuffers DH1: 10
AddBuffers DH2: 10
SetPatch
Echo....
Sys:System/FastMemFirst
BindDrivers ; using the Comspec A2000 SCSI Host Controller and softw
;
Resident C:Resident pure
Resident C:Assign pure
Resident C:MakeDir pure
Resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add
Resident C:Execute pure
Resident C:CD pure
;
MakeDir RAM:clipboards
MAkeDir RAM:env
MakeDir RAM:t
;
Assign CLIPS: RAM:clipboards
Assign ENV: RAM:env
Assign T: RAM:t
;
Mount NewCON:
FailAt 11
Mount Aux:
Mount Pipe:
Mount Speak:
;
SetClock Load
FF >NIL: -0
;
Resident Assign remove
Resident MakeDir remove
Resident Mount remove
Resident Resident remove
;
SYS:System/SetMap USA1
Path RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs add
Copy SYS:RAMDisk.info to RAM:Disk.info
LoadWB delay
Delete RAM:Disk.info
CD SYS:
C:EndCLI

I gave you the whole shooting match, just in case you have questions on
what the whole thing contains.

*Note:  I haven't actually entered the AddBuffers DH# series of commands
as my Chassis is out for repairs(an A500 Subsystem expansion chassis),
nevertheless, the `pure bit not set' message pops up when this
startup-sequence is on the inboard floppy with no peripherals attached.
I am adding the DH# stuff in hopes of speeding up my ST-277N from
120K/sec reads to the touted near 300K/sec reads.

RS

 * QNet 1.03a2: CONNECTed II 'THE BBS' - Peterborough, Can. (705) 743-7296.

khawkes@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kurt Hawkes) (06/20/89)

In article <89061907384711@masnet.uucp> rob.sudbury@canremote.uucp (ROB SUDBURY) writes:
>With or without the hard drive or controller hooked up I keep getting
>`pure bit not set' feeds on the CLI startup screen with my
>startup-sequence.  WHY?  Here it is:

[stuff deleted]
>;
>Resident C:Resident pure
>Resident C:Assign pure
>Resident C:MakeDir pure
>Resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add
>Resident C:Execute pure
>Resident C:CD pure
>;

In AmigaDos 1.3 there are some new file protection bits.  The one your having
trouble withing is the pure bit.  When you copied the V1.3 commands onto
your disk, you must have used a copy program that does not support the 1.3
file extensions.  What you need to do is:

Protect c:resident p add   ;This will add the pure bit to the resident file.

You need to do that with all the resident commands; Assign, Makedir, etc.
Compair you C: directory with the C: directory on you 1.3 dist disk, using
list.  You will see the files that need pure bit set.

--
--                           //
Kurt Hawkes                 //      khawkes@beach.cis.ufl.edu

athomson@ayov10.dec.com (Alan Thomson) (06/21/89)

In article <89061907384711@masnet.uucp>, rob.sudbury@canremote.uucp (ROB SUDBURY) writes...
>Okay gang, here is a simple question for you all to help me figure out.
>I am not a programmer, but a skilled user.  I have had my Amiga for 2

>Resident C:Resident pure
>Resident C:Assign pure
>Resident C:MakeDir pure
>Resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add
>Resident C:Execute pure
>Resident C:CD pure
/* stuff deleted */
>RS
>
> * QNet 1.03a2: CONNECTed II 'THE BBS' - Peterborough, Can. (705) 743-7296.

I'll bet that at some time you have copied these commands into your
current c: directory but didn't use the CLONE option.
When you copied the files across the pure bit didn't come across too.

Either copy then again using CLONE this time or PROTECT then to set the
pure bit.

------   All opinions are mine and do not..... etc.   ---------------------
| Amigas have 4097 colours,   |		        | Alan Thomson            |
| the last being Octarine -   |                 | Digital Equipment Corp. |
| the colour of MAGIC !!      |                 | Ayr, Scotland.          |
		     athomson%ayov10.dec@decwrl.dec.com

u586182058ea@vega.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000007686;0;340;143;) (06/21/89)

In article <89061907384711@masnet.uucp> rob.sudbury@canremote.uucp (ROB SUDBURY) writes:
>With or without the hard drive or controller hooked up I keep getting
>`pure bit not set' feeds on the CLI startup screen with my
>startup-sequence.  WHY?  Here it is:
>
>Resident Assign remove
>Resident MakeDir remove
>Resident Mount remove
>Resident Resident remove
>;

In order to make these resident, their pure bits need to be set.
-> "protect Assign prwed"
just do this to all of them and it should work fine.

I had this problem for awhile also.

919 Drake CellBlock 146   Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616           Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-753-1169              u586182058ea@vega.ucdavis.edu   |\ <  <     |   \/