[comp.sys.amiga] Citadel 68k for the Amiga

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (06/17/89)

Sorry to post this to here, but my mail kept bouncing...

Brad, what is your E-mail address?  I couldn't get this to work at all.

To: bradch@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Citadel 68k

> BTW, do you know who did the port you already have?  Could you tell me
> about it?  Are there any things it does great?  Poorly?  Are there any
> specific features you would like to see added?  Some things I've already
> added or am going to add before releasing include:

Brad,
   the version I have is Citadel 68k version 2.16.  It was last
updated back in Febuary 1987.  All I can say is that it is a very poor
port of Citadel directly from the IBM machines.  The docs haven't been
Amigaized at all and it don't work at all.

	As for what features I would like to see:

1.  Very low CHIP RAM requirements.
2.  Works with expanded RAM upto Amiga MAximums.
3.  Works on Amiga 2500s and other expansion boards
4.  Works with a hardrive and is easy to install on one.  Ideally, you
should only have to change ONE path designation in the configuration
file to tell it where the root directory is.  You can of course change
the actuall placements to your heart's content.
5.  make it FAST
6.  keep it simple.  don't change the citadel style of rooms and
menus.  I HATE long menus, or complicated menus with cute graphics.
they just take up time and make me mad.
7.  all I can think of now.  if you'd like a beta tester, drop me a
line.

John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up
Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john | in the morning?
	 	--Damm the Disclaimers!  Full flame ahead!--

--

chen@.ucalgary.ca (Lawrence [The Dreamer] Chen) (06/17/89)

In article <2795@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
>   the version I have is Citadel 68k version 2.16.  It was last
>updated back in Febuary 1987.  All I can say is that it is a very poor
>port of Citadel directly from the IBM machines.  The docs haven't been
>Amigaized at all and it don't work at all.

Version 2.16 eh?  Where did that one come from?  Who did it?  I don't think
its the same as the Jay Johnson port of Citadel-68K, since the newest version
I know of is V2.15a which was released only about a week ago.  He's
working on porting Citadel86v3.19 over to the Amiga now, except that he's
got a real job writing Amiga software....so it probably won't be ready until
later this year.

>	As for what features I would like to see:
>
>1.  Very low CHIP RAM requirements.

Citadel-68K v2.15a uses very little in the way of CHIP RAM, the only CHIP
RAM that it appears to use, is for the SysConsole which is a one-bitplane
screen.

>2.  Works with expanded RAM upto Amiga MAximums.

The rest of Citadel-68K is in FAST RAM....it could use upto the maximum
if you chose to do so [turning Mirror Message on], but I'm glad it doesn't
try to do it normally...otherwise I wouldn't be able to have Lattice C5.02
in VD0: and compile programs while somebody is logged on....

>3.  Works on Amiga 2500s and other expansion boards

I don't see how this is an issue, except for serial boards...which isn't
currently supported...but might not be to hard to do....

>4.  Works with a hardrive and is easy to install on one.  Ideally, you
>should only have to change ONE path designation in the configuration
>file to tell it where the root directory is.  You can of course change
>the actuall placements to your heart's content.

It already is.....at least the way I have my system set up.  Messages are
found at LUNATIC_MESG:, the CTDLROOM.SYS & CTDLLOG.SYS files are at
LUNATIC_HAVEN:SYS/, the root directory [help files] are at LUNATIC_HAVEN:,
the calllog.sys goes in AUDIT:, and files are at LUNATIC_FILES:.  Then you
just assign to appropriate locations.  LUNATIC_MESG: points to a subdirectory
on a disk named LUNATIC_HAVEN, and LUNATIC_FILES is a name of another disk but
is also assigned to RAM: so when I take the disk out of the drive to do
something else...it doesn't hang asking for the disk.

I'm currently running the entire thing off of a floppy, I don't have any
files online anymore.....  But, I'm getting a harddrive real soon now.

>5.  make it FAST

Its doesn't seem slow right now...except maybe for the limitation to 2400
bps max.  But, the main thing that slows it down is disk access....

>6.  keep it simple.  don't change the citadel style of rooms and
>menus.  I HATE long menus, or complicated menus with cute graphics.
>they just take up time and make me mad.

Yes, I love the simplicity of Citadel too.

>7.  all I can think of now.  if you'd like a beta tester, drop me a
>line.

I wouldn't mind beta testing too.

Right now the only thing I would like to see, is better [or real]
doors support.  I'm trying to get the simplest of programs to work
as a door on my system [a questionaire], and its not working.  Later
I want to run Empire.

Another thing would be to add networking support over INTERNET or something.
There was talk about STadel's hooking into BITNET....but haven't heard
anything lately.

Maybe run AmigaUUCP as a DOOR.

>John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
>WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up
>Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john | in the morning?
>	 	--Damm the Disclaimers!  Full flame ahead!--

     / ADHOCNET: Chen@Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA     ___ Lunatic Haven BBS
    /         or Chen@Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA  /    [CA 403 239 1225]
   /    __        __  __       __  __      /         __
  /    /_/ /   / /_/ /_  /\ / /   /_      /     /_/ /_  /\ /
 /___ / / /_/\/ / \ /__ / // /__ /__      \__/ / / /__ / //
 "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun"
 BITNET: Chen%Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA@UNCAEDU          - The Dreamer
      or Chen%Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (06/21/89)

In article <1518@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> chen@Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA (Lawrence [The Dreamer] Chen) writes:
>In article <2795@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
>>   the version I have is Citadel 68k version 2.16.  It was last

>Version 2.16 eh?  Where did that one come from?  Who did it?  I don't think

I got my copy of Citadel from a guy who got a copy from a guy... the
help files do give a BBS name and phone number, I'll post them when I
get home...

>Right now the only thing I would like to see, is better [or real]
>doors support.  I'm trying to get the simplest of programs to work

I like your idea for empire.  How about other games.  Or maybe TCP/IP,
you know, FTP!!   :-)

>Another thing would be to add networking support over INTERNET or something.
>There was talk about STadel's hooking into BITNET....but haven't heard

>Maybe run AmigaUUCP as a DOOR.

How about just having it talk to other Citadels first?  And make all
networking a form of doors.  How about TRAP-DOORS?  Sound good to you?

Then I'd like to adding the other networking stuff.