[comp.sys.amiga] hd & dd floppy difference.

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (06/21/89)

In article <741@lakesys.UUCP>, joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:
> In article <6597@cs.Buffalo.EDU> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> A question that comes to mind from this discussion:
> I recieved some ds/hd (pc type) disks courtesy of Adobe a few months back
> and I attempted to format and use them, out of six disks only ONE of them
> worked.  Is there really that much of a physical difference between dd and hd
> disks?  I was under the impression that disk material was fairly virgin when
> you recieve it and that all disks are made the same way--just some pass more
> rigourous(sp) test than others and are sold as hd.
>
> Am I mistaken?

The hd floppies are designed for recording with a higher bias.
Kind of like high bias as opposed to regular bias cassette tapes
for a home stereo.  This is to help the bits stay the way they're
supposed to despite being crammed together tighter when you use a
high density drive.  The dd drive is applying less current than the
media were designed for I believe.

I've had better luck using dd floppies in a hd drive in a pinch,
but wouldn't do it out of choice.

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor