[comp.sys.amiga] Amigados 1.4 what gives?

jtb@dhw68k.cts.com (John Gibbons) (06/19/89)

 I along with many others are a little upset at the Amigas floppy drive access time.. So here I ask what will amigados 1.4 do for this?

 I have heard many rumors about it speeding up drive access time (I am assuming that it is the OS that causes it to be so slow)..

 So if anyone knows if there is any truth to this then please let us know..
--
John Gibbons
uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!jtb       InterNet: jtb@dhw68k.cts.com

CB@frambo.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (06/21/89)

[Is it just me going coconuts, or do those Subject lines HAVE to be stupid
and/or non-descriptive???]

In message <23948@dhw68k.cts.com> jtb@dhw68k.cts.com (John Gibbons)
writes w/ lines > 80chars.:

> I along with many others are a little upset at the Amigas floppy drive access
>time.. So here I ask what will amigados 1.4 do for this?
>
> I have heard many rumors about it speeding up drive access time (I am assuming
>that it is the OS that causes it to be so slow)..
>
> So if anyone knows if there is any truth to this then please let us know..
>--
>John Gibbons
>uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!jtb       InterNet: jtb@dhw68k.cts.com

Well, I guess I just spotted another topic for the monthly introduction
posting...

To answer your question, it's the file-system and not the OS (splitting hairs
here) that "slows" down the floppy access. Actually the access times and data
transfer rates from the Amiga disk drives are as good as they can be, but
due to a rather large overhead they tend to feel slow compared to other
file-systems. BUT the overhead has a very good reason and I'm feeling very
comfortable with it:

It's there for data safety and integrity reasons.

If on a Messy-DOS disk your bitmap aka FAT gets zapped, your files are gone
with the wind. :-) On the standard (OFS or SFS) AmigaDOS file-system, the
individual blocks are linked to oneanother and contain additional checksum
information.
This and the ever present fragmentation (there's not a dedicated "directory
track" on AmigaDOS) tend to slow down Amiga disks.

As far as 1.4 is concerned, I don't have the recent DevCon documentation yet,
but earlier statements said something like:
"We'll do a special floppy FastFileSystem to guarantee the data integrity
which wouldn't be present if you used the HD oriented FFS."

Regards,

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > EMail: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!CB -OR- CB@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  E-Net: FRAMBO::BALZER | Home-Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ PMail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.