[comp.sys.amiga] Flame about AmigaDOS 1.4

rap@ez.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (06/21/89)

In article <1989Jun19.130933.26364@ziebmef.uucp> mcp@ziebmef.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>I just found the notification information in the V1.4 preferences docs,
>and I think it's generally good.  FileRequester people will love it.
>Here's a summary...

It was my understanding (and no doubt that of many of the other developers)
that the information contained in the DEVCON notes was to be treated as
"confidential" and is for the benefit of the developers that you are able
to find out what is coming, or at least what is purported to be coming.
One thing one would not want to do is to let on to all of your competition
things that you are working on.  Or, just as bad, get folks excited about
something that never quite comes to pass.  Vaporware gets results, though
not what you'd really want.

I suggest that if we want CBM to continue to be relatively open about
their plans, which in turn help us to plan our software efforts and of
course our own potential profitability, that we keep quiet about things
that we've been told in confidence and let the marketeers control when
the actual announcements happen.  So far I have not seen any CATS folks
officially announcing things such as mentioned by those who obviously
have access to the DEVCON notes for 1.4.  This is not doing any of us any
good.  Lets restrict the discussion to unsubstantiated rumors and suggestions
for OTHER, lets call them improvements, that may (or may NOT) already
be in process.

This is "our" machine of choice -- lets help CBM keep it out there so
we can continue to enjoy it!

Rob Peck