[comp.sys.amiga] File Format for Digiview and/or Photon Paint

cae6824@ultb.UUCP (C.A. Egert) (06/20/89)

I have a question :

	I am trying to find the file format for pictures created with
Digiview or Photon Paint.  I was wondering if anyone knows of any files
or books that explain the format.

						Chris

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (06/22/89)

In article <945@ultb.UUCP> cae6824@ultb.UUCP (C.A. Egert) writes:
>	I am trying to find the file format for pictures created with
>Digiview or Photon Paint.  I was wondering if anyone knows of any files
>or books that explain the format.

The standard for Amiga pictures files is called IFF, and the documentation
and code are available from Commodore....

Both programs use the ILBM form (Inter-Leaved Bit Map) to store standard
amiga graphics (4 plane, 5 plane, 6 plane (HAM or HalfBrite),  however,
DigiView also stores pictures in the full color (21-bit/pixel) RGB format.

I mention this because someone else asked specifically about this format.

Well, just the other day I took a look at it and wrote a program to read
that format.  It is stored just like any other ILBM IFF file, but it
has 21 bit planes (instead of 4,5 or 6), has no CMAP chunk (of course, since
it is direct color), and also has a DGVW chunk (which is 32 bytes).

I don't know what info is stored in the DGVW chunk (if someone knows, could
you please post the info).

It took me several attempts to figure out the bit ordering in the 21 planes.
This is the order of planes:

r6,g6,b6,r5,g5,b5,r4,g4,b4,....,r1,g1,b1,r0,g0,b0

where each 7 bit primary is:  r6r5r4r3r2r1r0, etc.

I also noted that the aspect ratio in the BMHD chunk was for a 320x200 picture
when it was really a 320x400 picture.  Mistake on DigiView's part.

New Question:  What should the aspect ratio of a screen dump be?  The actual
dumps I get are about a 1/2 inch taller than my calculations says it should
be.

-- Tony

--

Tony Parkhurst	( tony@hp-sdd.HP.COM )

"Is this Hell?  Or is this Texas?" "Both" -- Heinlein, _J_O_B: _A _C_o_m_e_d_y _o_f _J_u_s_t_i_c_e