[comp.sys.amiga] Dungeon Master & 68020

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (06/20/89)

I recently got Dungeon Master, and am playing it on my 2500.

I was wondering if anyone has expirence playing it on a 68020 based system
as opposed to a stock 68000.

It appears to work OK on the '020 system. I seem to "run out of light"
fairly quickly, but that may be normal.

The only weirdness I have discovered is that a saved game disk, that was
formatted and written to on '020 mode, CANNOT be read (by Dungeon Master)
when booted in 68000 mode! I havn't tried the opposite scenerio yet.

I have just gotten through the first level, and want to see which mode
I should be running in before I commit myself to further levels.

I plan to contact the manufacturer about this, but there is no phone
number in the manual, just a PO box number, so it may be a while
before I receive a response, if I get one at all, on this.

Thanks in advance.....

Dave
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

) Seaman) (06/22/89)

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> I recently got Dungeon Master, and am playing it on my 2500.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has expirence playing it on a 68020 based system
> as opposed to a stock 68000.

I played it on my 1000 & 2500 (after I upgraded) for months (O.K.,
so I am kinda sloooowwww), and never had any problems.

> It appears to work OK on the '020 system. I seem to "run out of light"
> fairly quickly, but that may be normal.

I never noticed any significant difference when running on the 1000, versus
the 2500, other than having to turn the volume up on the stereo to
compensate for the fan/hard disk noises :-(.

> The only weirdness I have discovered is that a saved game disk, that was
> formatted and written to on '020 mode, CANNOT be read (by Dungeon Master)
> when booted in 68000 mode! I havn't tried the opposite scenerio yet.

Never had this problem either.  After changing from the 1000 to the 2500,
I was able to read my previous save disks fine, and was also able to
read those created by the 2500 on my brother's 2000.

> I have just gotten through the first level, and want to see which mode
> I should be running in before I commit myself to further levels.

68020 mode worked fine, even after I (finally!) got NIB and made a backup.
Didn't care for the cycling blue boot screen, though.

> Dave

> "What is another word
>  for 'Thesaurus'?"
>
>    Steven Wright

Lessee... Uhhh... Dictionary?... nope... Uhhh... Wait!  I know what to do!
I'll look it up in that book where you find words that mean the same
thing!  Yeah, that's it!  Now, what was that thing called again? ...

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!