[comp.sys.amiga] Yet another 1.4 wish

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (03/03/89)

This one should be easy, I want to see Realloc() implemented in the
exec. This one is so obvious I expect it has already been done, but
then it wasn't done in 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2.

By the way, are these suggestions too late? Has 1.4 been frozen yet?

                                      Douglas Peale

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (03/24/89)

How about this for another wish list for 1.4?

 1.) Keyboard shortcuts for the Workbench pull-down menu commands.
     Personally, this would make MY life much easier (I don't know about
     everyone else here on the net...)

 2.) The ability to lock hard drives or hard drive partitions/directories
     from reading/writing/executing inherent on the INFO screen (pull-down
     menu command).  After all, we can write protect disks rather easily by
     flipping the shutter [except, maybe, for my disk drive (until I can
     afford to have it repaired).].

 3.) A visual task control program, similar to TaskX.

+--------------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+
| John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  |   .  .  . .____. .   | jdutka@wpi.bitnet        |
| Worcester Polytechnic	   |   |  |  | |    | |   | jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu       |
| WPI Box 2308             |   |  |  | |____| |   |                          |
| 100 Institute Road	   |   |  |  | |      |   +--------------------------+
| Worcester, MA 01609-2280 |   |__|__| |      |   | WPI  -  Home of the      |
| (508) 792-1949	   |                      | ever-growing tuition (&  |
| U.S.A.                   | (C) 1989, Chris Moir | Freshman failure rate.)  |
+--------------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+

dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (06/01/89)

I'm not sure if this has been hashed out here before, but for 1.4 I
would really like to see the stack size which a program requires encoded
right in the executable file.  I know ARP does this, but unfortunately,
a lot of programs don't get launched by ARP.

I think the stack size should be encoded in executable files in some
reasonably transparent way, and then the loader in ROM (LoadSeg?) should
detect it and cause the right amount of stack to be allocated.  No more
wasted memory because a program which needs 100 bytes of stack got
20K, and no more crashes because of 4K default stacks like mine.

Think about it!  You could have a HUNK_STACK just like a HUNK_BSS, and
the loader could allocate the stack along with the other memory areas.
The load could fail if not enough room for the stack was available.
Deeply recursive programs could allocate a minimal stack (like 100
bytes) and then set up the stack they really need themselves.  No
more StackSize entries in Mountlists!  And so on.  The key is that
this should be officially built into the system, not kludged on by a
third party.

So what is wrong with this picture?  I'd like to hear if 1.4 will address
this issue, and if not, what I've missed.

Markus Wandel
(519) 884-9669
Help eliminate space wasting .signat

In article <14218@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu writes:
>I'm not sure if this has been hashed out here before, but for 1.4 I
>would really like to see the stack size which a program requires encoded
>right in the executable file.  I know ARP does this, but unfortunately,
>a lot of programs don't get launched by ARP.

I agree! This would be a great feature. It's very frustrating trying to set the
stack just right, so that the program has enough stack without giving it too
much so that you don't waste memory. Right now it's just set stack, run
program, crash progam, raise stack, run program, .... until the stack is large
enough.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com (06/05/89)

[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
 part of the executable]

Hey, yeah!  But this makes me wonder why the people who were bright
enough to include shared libraries and a message-based OS didn't do
it this way.  I wonder whether I'm just provincial, thinking all OSes
should be like the ones I've used....  So, what are the advantages of
having it separate, anyway?

--Max  mrobinson@wash-vax.bbn.com

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (06/08/89)

In article <16905@louie.udel.EDU> MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com writes:
=
=[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
= part of the executable]
=
=Hey, yeah!  But this makes me wonder why the people who were bright
=enough to include shared libraries and a message-based OS didn't do
=it this way.

Because they were different people. And the people that were managing
the software as well as the company that was responsible for AmigaDos
had an ( atleast to us programmers at amiga) unreasonable bias against
unix.

It was a battle that many of us did not want to fight since we had our
own fires that were blazing out of control. ;-)

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

mcp@ziebmef.uucp (Marc Plumb) (06/14/89)

In article <16905@louie.udel.EDU> MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com writes:
>[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
> part of the executable]
>
>Hey, yeah!  But this makes me wonder why the people who were bright
>enough to include shared libraries and a message-based OS didn't do
>it this way.  I wonder whether I'm just provincial, thinking all OSes
>should be like the ones I've used....  So, what are the advantages of
>having it separate, anyway?

You get the code to do it ported in 6 weeks flat is the advantage.
That decision was made in BCPL-land, so it doesn't have to be good,
'cause it was there thursday.  I agree it's rather a kludge.
--
	-Colin Plumb

>In article <16905@louie.udel.EDU> MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com writes:
>[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
> part of the executable]

I've had a neat idea about how do to this.

I think it would be a simple (I don't actually know) thing to do to
add an extra block type to execuables. Call it an extra block or
whatever. This block could contain standardized info about
stack size (like BSS blocks), virtual or protected memory support and
the like.
Once the loader knows about such blocks, then somebody should
be about to write a utility to tack that block on to existing
executables, so that regular users could fix their existing software
immediatly.
You could also use this block to store other application specific
information, like TOOLTYPES sort of info for CLI only programs.

This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (06/17/89)

In article <3418@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>>In article <16905@louie.udel.EDU> MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com writes:
>>[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
>> part of the executable]
>
>I think it would be a simple (I don't actually know) thing to do to
>add an extra block type to execuables. Call it an extra block or
>whatever. This block could contain standardized info about
>stack size (like BSS blocks), virtual or protected memory support and
>the like.

That's what my original suggestion was:  add a hunk type, like
HUNK_BSS, except that it is HUNK_STACK.  I can see the problems though;
the new hunk type would break the loader in 1.3 and previous versions
of the system, so 1.4 programs could only be loaded on machines running
1.4 - not very appealing.  But it could still be kludged the way ARP
apparently does it.  But the people in whose power it is to make this
kind of change have not responded...

Markus Wandel
(519) 884-9669

bryan@geo-works.UUCP (Bryan Ford) (06/22/89)

In article <3418@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>>In article <16905@louie.udel.EDU> MROBINSON@wash-vax.bbn.com writes:
>>[dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu wishes that the stack size become
>> part of the executable]
>
>I've had a neat idea about how do to this.
>
>I think it would be a simple (I don't actually know) thing to do to
>add an extra block type to execuables. Call it an extra block or
>whatever. This block could contain standardized info about
>stack size (like BSS blocks), virtual or protected memory support and
>the like.

Good idea.  Too bad the Amiga's executable file formats aren't forward
compatible like IFF.  Hmmm...I wonder if it would be feasible to create a
new executable file format that uses an IFF standard for executables.
Maybe 'X68K'?  Who knows.  Probably wouldn't be practical, unless C-A is
planning to put IFF stuff in ROM.

Oh well, nice idea while it lasted...

				Bryan

   _/ Bryan Ford - bryan@geo-works.geo-works.com \_
 _/    ..!utah-cs!caeco!i-core!geo-works!bryan     \_
/   ..!uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!geo-works!bryan    \