[comp.sys.amiga] Database program for the Amiga

mark@petsd.UUCP (Mark Bueide) (06/14/89)

My father just upgraded his home computer from a TRS-80 Model 3 to
an Amiga 2000. One of the things he always used his trash-80 for
was to keep a fairly extensive database of bills, insurance claims, etc.
He has been using the Radio Shack database program (Profile+ ?).

With the Amiga he got The Works, which supposedly has some kind of
database facility. The problem with this is that apparently this
software will allow only the most rudimentary kind of report to be
generated (you can dump out all of the db records, perhaps sorted
by a key). My father would like to be able to generate
reports based on different queries.

I may be giving The Works a bum rap. I haven't looked at The Works yet
and my father hasn't really used it much, but the people at the store
where my father bought the computer feel that its database capabilities
are pretty limited.

The question is this: Is there a good quality database product for the
Amiga? Or, should my father get a bridgeboard and buy some IBM PC product?

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Joel Avery) (06/15/89)

WOW! That is quite a jump from a TRaSh 80 to an Amiga 2000!  I used
TRaSh 80s in high school about 6 years ago ... and they were grossly
out of date then!   Anyway, to the point of the question ... don't
go buying a bridgeboard until you have checked out EVERYTHING!  If
you do, you might have well just bought a Pee Cee in the first place
and never mind the Amiga.  There are quite a few databases out there
to choose from.  One of the biggest names I can recall off hand is
SuperBase, but I've never used it.  I just purchased micro-fiche
filer myself, but have not been able to spend much time with it yet
as I don't have a monitor yet.  The main point that I am trying to
make is that if you buy a BridgeBoard to do the things your father
needs a computer for, then you have just wasted $2000 or more on
an Amiga that is not needed.  If you can't find a program that will
suite you, why don't you consider selling the 2000 and getting a
clone?  A new clone will be slightly more expensive than a bridge
card and with selling the Amiga you can pocket over $1000.  Mind
you ... don't get me wrong, the Amiga is a remarkable computer ...
and I am quite sure you will find the program you need.  All I
am saying is that if you can't find it, then what the heck do you
have an Amiga for?
---------------------
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

In article <594@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Joel Avery) writes:
>to choose from.  One of the biggest names I can recall off hand is
>SuperBase, but I've never used it.  I just purchased micro-fiche

I have used SuperBase Professional. There are two versions, personal and
professional. I have never used the personal version, but it is
basically a watered down version of the more expensive professional
package.

THis is the only database I have ever used, so I cannot compare it to
other programs.
It is fairly solid, more so in the latest release. It even handle
low memory pretty well. It lets you enter any number of fileds for a
record. It allows indexing on any field, and sorting. You can
have some fields be validated (only accept certain inputs, like only
positive amounts less than 5000 divisible by 3). You can also set
up automatic computations.
With the professional version you get a forms editor and a program
editor. This allows you to make very fancy screen layouts of your
information. The forms editor can also be used to make fancy reports for
printing on your favorite printer.
With the program editor, you can write programs to
print complex reports or do complex data transformations that would
be hard to do otherwise. The language is terrible though. It seems as if
they tried hard to make it look as much like Microsloth basic as
possible, just adding keywords as neccesary to do database stuff. I
would think they would make a better language, somewhat more optimized
to database work.

A demo database that comes with it combines sound and graphics. I
have never played with the graphics part of it, but you can integrate
IFF (I think, probly) pictures + sound into a database.

Oh, it also allows encryption + password protection of data.

Overall I'd say it a fairly good program, but then I don't have any
experience with other databases on the Amiga or otherwise.
You should take a look at it though.
This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

bryan@geo-works.UUCP (Bryan Ford) (06/22/89)

In article <594@bnr-fos.UUCP>, protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Joel Avery) writes:
>...[lots of stuff]...
>and I am quite sure you will find the program you need.  All I
>am saying is that if you can't find it, then what the heck do you
>have an Amiga for?

Good advice.  To put it simply:

	"First buy the program you want to run, then buy the computer that
	will run it." -Unknown

				Bryan