[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 fan

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (06/19/89)

It's dumb question time again...  (Don't blame me, I'm a software type these
days.  Ok, blame me anyway...)  Which direction should the A2000 fan be
running.  Should it be pushing or pulling the air through the computer?
(Does it make any significant difference in cooling effectiveness?)

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I finally replaced the jet engine
that came with my A2000 with a somewhat quieter Radio Shack (tm) fan.
Naturally, this question only came up AFTER I had completed the replacement.

                               Thanks,

--

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {killer|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp
                                         or    killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/23/89)

in article <0969.AA0969@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) says:

> It's dumb question time again...  (Don't blame me, I'm a software type these
> days.  Ok, blame me anyway...)  Which direction should the A2000 fan be
> running.  Should it be pushing or pulling the air through the computer?
> (Does it make any significant difference in cooling effectiveness?)

Yup.  It should be pulling air through the Amiga and out the fan.  This can have
the disadvantage of also pulling dust into your Amiga, but it's done this way
because the fan is mounted in the power supply.  If it forced air in from the
back, it would get heated across the supply before going to your boards and all.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (06/23/89)

In article <0969.AA0969@caleb>(Jim Pritchett) writes:
>It's dumb question time again...  (Don't blame me, I'm a software type these
>days.  Ok, blame me anyway...)  Which direction should the A2000 fan be
>running.  Should it be pushing or pulling the air through the computer?
>(Does it make any significant difference in cooling effectiveness?)
To: jdp@caleb.UUCP
Subject: Re: A2000 fan
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

With no particulate filters in the ventilation path, the the Amiga is acting
as a dust precipitator, filtering crud out of the room air.  Said crud is
deposited on the circuit boards, floppy drive mechanics, floppy drive heads,
and so on.  I would guess that the majority of the crud will drop where the
air velocity diminishes most abrubtly (reasoning by analogy with silt in a
river).  If you must have dust and junk accumulating inside your Amiga, I'd
think it would be better if "maximum precipitation" occurred just inside the
rear panel (fan pumping air INTO the amiga) than if it occurred inside the
floppy drives.  So I'd recommend putting positive pressure inside Amy.  If
you could stand the pressure drop it would cause, I'd also recommend adding
a filter across the inlet of this fan, and cleaning it every so often.

Brian Rhodefer