[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet/DSOC question.

rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (06/03/89)

I have been using dnet (version 2.xx I think?  Its the most recent one
on ucbvax), and I've been having complete success.  Now I would also like to be
able to use dsoc from the unix end, while connected to my amiga at home.

From the unix prompt I type "dsoc" and I get the response
"DSOC V1.01 11 March 1988 Connecting"

then nothing happens at all.  Unless I am greatly confused, I sould be
able to access a cli.  If anyone has any advice on what i am doing wrong
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Ross Niebergall
Dept. of Math.
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, Indiana
rsn@ndmath.uucp

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (06/04/89)

In article <1422@ndmath.UUCP> rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:

> I have been using dnet (version 2.xx I think?  Its the most recent
> one on ucbvax), and I've been having complete success.  Now I would
> also like to be able to use dsoc from the unix end, while connected
> to my amiga at home.

V2.01, last I checked.  (about a week ago)

> From the unix prompt I type "dsoc" and I get the response "DSOC
> V1.01 11 March 1988 Connecting"

This means that the dsoc program has started, and is *attempting* to
connect.  When it gets a (dnet) connection to the scli server on the
amiga, then it will say "Connected", and (hopefully) "New CLI #"...
Check your s:dnet.servers file, make sure scli is listed correctly,
and that you have _Matt's_ PIPE: device installed and mounted.  The
C-A WB V1.3 PIPE: will NOT work.  I'm not sure if you need to mount it
as dpipe: or pipe: -- I mount both. (identically)

This is an old s:dnet.servers file (using an old bootdisk, with DNet
V1.10) which works correctly.  (dsoc gets an Amiga CLI)

8192	s:scopy    ram:    ;File Transfer server
8195	s:sterm    ram:    ;Terminal Window server
8196	s:scli     ram:    ;Shell Server (needs pipe:)

Note that there are more entries for V2.01, but you get the idea.
The entry for port 8196 is the relevant one.  Make sure it points to
where the scli executable really is, and that the executable is
abailable (ramdisk or in the disk in the drive) when you first try the
dsoc.  And have Matt Dillon's dpipe mounted first.  (you can get that
off ucbvax as well.)

> nothing happens at all.  Unless I am greatly confused, I sould
> be able to access a cli.  If anyone has any advice on what i am
> doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like it couldn't connect.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

dillon@HERMES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (06/23/89)

	There is a bug in dsoc on symetry sequent machines... they do
not support asynchronous IO over unix domain sockets and dsoc depends on
this.

	What happens is that it says it connected find but you never see
what the other side sends to you.

				-Matt

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (06/23/89)

From article <8906230040.AA26545@hermes.Berkeley.EDU>, by dillon@HERMES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon):

> 	There is a bug in dsoc on symetry sequent machines... they do
> not support asynchronous IO over unix domain sockets and dsoc depends on
> this. [....]
> 				-Matt

Hey, on the lines of async IO...(sort of), I cannot get dnet to work up to
campus since there is a network which runs at fibre-baud (19.2K ussually)
which is running the data from the mainframes to a modem which I connect to.
This means I dont have a direct link between myself and the mainframe. I have
8-bits on the data stream, but the fibre-network does its own flow control and
I am pretty sure that this is causing dnet to NOT work...  :-(

Is there any chance of overcoming this problem via a mod. to dnet?? I would
be willing to hack away at it if I could get a bit of guidance to start...

Thanks,
bob
--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/