[comp.sys.amiga] Supra SCSI on A500

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (06/21/89)

Usenetters:

   My A500 with Supra SCSI interface, Adaptec 4000A SCSI->ST506 and
Micropolis 1304 hard disk gives diskperf numbers in the 50K range.
I formatted the disk with SupraFormatII using an interleave of 3.  The disk
is autobooting and the second partition is mounted with Supramount -s.
judging by other numbers I've seen posted here, these numbers seem to be
extremely low.  The Supra software is version 2.03 (latest?) and I am using
WB1.3 w/KS1.3 rom.  My disk has two 20M FFS partitions.

   I have talked to Supra tech support and was told that the
Adaptec does not support a "blind SCSI read" meaning that the Adaptec
Tries to verify all data read/written.  The tech rep also said I should see
numbers in the 200K range using an embedded SCSI disk.

   If anyone has a similar setup and experiences, I would appreciate any
direction/help/input.

Thanx in advance,
Signatureless
   - Steve

In <1668@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) writes:
>   My A500 with Supra SCSI interface, Adaptec 4000A SCSI->ST506 and
>Micropolis 1304 hard disk gives diskperf numbers in the 50K range.
>I formatted the disk with SupraFormatII using an interleave of 3.  The disk
>is autobooting and the second partition is mounted with Supramount -s.
>judging by other numbers I've seen posted here, these numbers seem to be
>extremely low.  The Supra software is version 2.03 (latest?) and I am using
>WB1.3 w/KS1.3 rom.  My disk has two 20M FFS partitions.
>
>   I have talked to Supra tech support and was told that the
>Adaptec does not support a "blind SCSI read" meaning that the Adaptec
>Tries to verify all data read/written.  The tech rep also said I should see
>numbers in the 200K range using an embedded SCSI disk.
>
>   If anyone has a similar setup and experiences, I would appreciate any
>direction/help/input.

Well, I don't have your setup, but I can tell you that the Adaptec 4000A,
whether or not it has 'blind SCSI read' (whatever that is) or not, it is
certainly capable of more than 50K/second or so. I am using two of them on a
2090A, one driving a 70 meg Fujitsu, and the other driving a 40 meg Atasi.
Perfs on the Atasi (DiskPerf2, same as DiskPerf in its algorithms, with a bug
or two removed, and better foratting of the output, shows the following figures
(this is on a 50% full 70 meg partition, with probably a fair bit of
fragmentation)

DiskPerf2.   Testing BigGuy:

Create Files:    12 files/sec.    Directory Scan:    96 entries/sec.
Delete Files:    30 files/sec.    Seek/Read Test:    74 seek/sec.

Read/Write Speed Test:  (bytes/sec.)

Buffer:  512     Read:     40,404     Write:     19,727
Buffer:   4k     Read:     96,910     Write:    111,077
Buffer:   8k     Read:    153,750     Write:    133,746
Buffer:  32k     Read:    256,752     Write:    157,918
Buffer:  64k     Read:    304,464     Write:    193,464
Buffer: 256k     Read:    323,634     Write:    237,234

Just thought I'd let you know that the Adaptec isn't the whole problem. With a
non-DMA controller, on an Adaptec, driving a reasonable drive, I would expect
anywhere from 140-230K/sec.

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |