[comp.sys.amiga] Dungeon Master crashes

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/08/89)

	I have Dungeon Master and an Amiga 1000, and the game keeps
crashing my machine after about 10 minutes of play.  There seems to be
no pattern to the crashes.  Has anyone else had this problem?

	I am using the original disk, not a copy.  (By the way, NIB V1.0
does NOT copy my disk; there must be a new protection scheme.)

	Symptoms:  the mouse pointer suddenly freezes, and the program
accepts no input at all.  No GURU occurs.
	I press CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA to reboot, and I get the "Insert Kickstart"
(not Workbench!) prompt.
	Once, the mouse simply stopped working in the left-right direction.
The game crashed several minutes later.

	I called FTL (the manufacturer) and they were mystified.  I sent
in my disk and got a replacement.  The replacement disk has the same problem.
I called FTL again and they were still mystified.  They did take my name &
number and promised to call me when they figure it out.

	My configuration:  Amiga 1000 with 512K RAM + 2 megabyte RAM
expansion (Starboard II), C.Ltd. (original) SCSI controller and 50-meg
hard drive, C.Ltd. Timesaver, 2 floppies, Kickstart/Workbench 1.3.

	I have already run a memory test and it found no problems with
my RAM.  I am not having any other problems with the computer.

	Has anyone else with my configuration NOT had this problem?  Has
anybody else with a different configuration had this problem?  Thanks!
--
# Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #
#		ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet			BITNET              #

bcl+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Love) (06/09/89)

> From: ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett)
>       I have Dungeon Master and an Amiga 1000, and the game keeps
>crashing my machine after about 10 minutes of play.
>
>       Symptoms:  the mouse pointer suddenly freezes, and the program
>accepts no input at all.  No GURU occurs.
>
>       My configuration:  Amiga 1000 with 512K RAM + 2 megabyte RAM
>expansion (Starboard II), C.Ltd. (original) SCSI controller and 50-meg
>hard drive, C.Ltd. Timesaver, 2 floppies, Kickstart/Workbench 1.3.
>
>       I have already run a memory test and it found no problems with
>my RAM.  I am not having any other problems with the computer.
>       Has anyone else with my configuration NOT had this problem?  Has
>anybody else with a different configuration had this problem?  Thanks!

I have had exactly the same problem, off and on, with completely different
hardware:

    A2000 with Fat Agnus chips
    A2090A
    Microbotics 8-up! fully populated

I've been having some trouble with my memory but it seems to have gone away
for now.  I've had only a single one bit error in 14 test iterations, or
over 30 hours of memory testing.

With your posting, I'm beginning to suspect my memory is fine, and
DM has a bug.

Brian C. Love       --  "Time may change me, but I can change time."

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/12/89)

	Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mail about my Amiga Dungeon Master
crashes.  If you have also experienced mysterious crashes like mine (mouse
pointer disappears and machine freezes for no apparent reason, after about
10 minutes of play), why not call FTL and tell them about it?  The more
people who call about this, the quicker it will be fixed, I'll bet!  So far,
they told me that they had never heard about the problem before.  However,
several of you wrote to me and said you are having the same problem....

	FTL:  (619) 453-5711

	They were VERY nice on the phone.

							Dan
--

hpchang@spurge.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) (06/13/89)

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>	Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mail about my Amiga Dungeon Master
>crashes.  If you have also experienced mysterious crashes like mine (mouse
>pointer disappears and machine freezes for no apparent reason, after about
>10 minutes of play), why not call FTL and tell them about it?  The more
>people who call about this, the quicker it will be fixed, I'll bet!  So far,
>they told me that they had never heard about the problem before.  However,
>several of you wrote to me and said you are having the same problem....

When my friend first purchased DM for the Amiga, he tried to back it up
with some professional backup program, and what you described sounds exactly
like the copy protection of DM at work. He got this everytime he ran DM
off the backup disk. Perhaps you're running Amiga DM off a backup disk ?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
hpchang@spurge.waterloo.{edu,cdn}	Hsi P. Chang
hpchang@spurge.uwaterloo.ca		4A Computer Science, Co-op.
uunet!watmath!spurge!hpchang		University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/13/89)

In article <14440@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hpchang@spurge.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) writes:
>Perhaps you're running Amiga DM off a backup disk ?

	Nope -- original disk.  In fact, this is my SECOND original disk.
FTL sent me another when I told them that my first one didn't work.  Both
disks exhibited the problems I described.  :-(
--

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (06/15/89)

}
}	Nope -- original disk.  In fact, this is my SECOND original disk.
}FTL sent me another when I told them that my first one didn't work.  Both
}disks exhibited the problems I described.  :-(

It could be that your drives are sick or at least way out of
adjustment.  I _think_ that the DM copy protection scheme involves
using some stuff on the disk that a normal drive is supposed to be able
to *read* but it takes a hacked-up drive to *write*.  If for some
reason your drive/driver can't keep up with the accelerated or
decelerated data rate, it might make the software think that it is
a copied disk.

ps, what *do* they do to the drives to get them to go faster and cram an extra
sector in?  Can an Amiga do that with anything approximating its 'normal'
hardware?

  /Bernie\

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/16/89)

In article <41454@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>It could be that your drives are sick or at least way out of
>adjustment.  I _think_ that the DM copy protection scheme involves
>using some stuff on the disk that a normal drive is supposed to be able
>to *read* but it takes a hacked-up drive to *write*.  If for some
>reason your drive/driver can't keep up with the accelerated or
>decelerated data rate, it might make the software think that it is
>a copied disk.

	I guess this is possible.  However, I have successfully run
Faery Tale Adventure, Shadowgate, Bards Tale, Bards Tale II, Borrowed
Time, Archon, Archon II, Deluxe Paint II (copy protected version),
Mindwalker, The Pawn, Hitchhiker's Guide, and a host of other games
with no problems.
	I have also seen what Dungeon Master does when it is copied
onto another disk.  First, it shows a very pretty blue pattern on
the screen.  Then, depending on what version you have, it either
shows a blank screen and stops dead, or it gets to the DUNGEON MASTER
logo and stops with the drive light on.
	If their game doesn't work because it is incompatible with
my hardware, then it goes in the trash, I'm afraid.  :-(
	Thanks for the suggestion, though!!!
--

stan@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) (06/20/89)

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

>	I have also seen what Dungeon Master does when it is copied
> onto another disk.  First, it shows a very pretty blue pattern on
> the screen.  Then, depending on what version you have, it either
> shows a blank screen and stops dead, or it gets to the DUNGEON MASTER
> logo and stops with the drive light on.
>	If their game doesn't work because it is incompatible with
> my hardware, then it goes in the trash, I'm afraid.  :-(

I have used NIB V1.0 to archive DM.  The game does display the blue pattern
during initial boot-up, but seems to play fine.

Previous attempts to archive DM with other programs gave me versions which
usually locked-up, with and without custom alerts, after short periods
of play.

| Stan Gibbs                                                               |
| stan@cv.hp.com || {hplabs,tektronix}!hp-pcd!stan                         |

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (06/25/89)

In article <41454@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>It could be that your drives are sick or at least way out of
>adjustment.   ...   If for some
>reason your drive/driver can't keep up with the accelerated or
>decelerated data rate, it might make the software think that it is
>a copied disk.

Is there a drive allignment kit that includes an allignment test diskette
available for the amiga?

Failing that, what about software that uses presumably "alligned" disks
such as the distribution Kickstart/Workbench diskettes to run an allignment
test.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"