[comp.sys.amiga] DD vs. HD floppies

stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (06/22/89)

In article <741@lakesys.UUCP>, Joe Pantuso (joe@lakesys.UUCP) writes:

> I recieved some ds/hd (pc type) disks courtesy of Adobe a few months back
> and I attempted to format and use them, out of six disks only ONE of them
> worked.  Is there really that much of a physical difference between dd and hd
> disks?  . . .

The "HD" floppies hold twice as much data as "DD" floppies by doubling the
data clock rate.  This makes the magnetic domains on the HD disks one-half
the size of the domains on the DD disks.  To ensure they won't self-erase
(two "1" bits surrounding a "0" bit causing the "0" to become a "1", or
vice versa), the magnetic material used in HD disks has higher coercivity
(just what it sounds like -- you have to work harder to coerce [force] the
magnetism to change direction).

HD disk material requires higher write currents because of the higher
coercivity of the oxide.  Your chances of correctly writing an HD disk
in a drive designed only for DD disks are pretty small. . .

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (06/23/89)

Although it may not be recommended, I have used HD diskettes in my
Amiga drive many times and have had no problems.  I can read/write
them just fine.  I imagine it is better to use DD disks, especially
since they are so much cheaper as well.
-Roger Uzun

Restating Steven E. Rice's answer in "more common" terms ...

attempting to use a HD disk on a drive not designed for it is akin to an
attempt to use "metal particle" audio cassettes on a drive not designed for
them.

In the audio cassette world, you have "metal particle", chromium dioxide (CrO2)
Ferrichrome (FeCr2), and the ol' rusty iron on plastic run-of-the-mill ferric
oxide formulations.  Each requires special treatment in regards to bias,
head current, etc. for optimum performance.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/25/89)

In Message <850@manta.NOSC.MIL>, dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) writes:

>Although it may not be recommended, I have used HD diskettes in my
>Amiga drive many times and have had no problems.  I can read/write
>them just fine.  I imagine it is better to use DD disks, especially
>since they are so much cheaper as well.

 I also use HD drisks in heimat - I did however have to change from the
 Matashuta (sp?) drive to a Chinon - Reason I use (some) HD disks is
 simply because their free - I  read alot of Messy-DOS magazines and
 weekly/monthly newspapers where somone is always offering a *FREE*
 demo disk - I look at the demo and then format the disk for Amiga use
 ;-)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS