[comp.sys.amiga] Alien Fires

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/26/89)

In article <435@aucis.UUCP> andrew@aucis.UUCP (Andrew Gillham) writes:

> ALSO:  Has anyone played 'Alien fires: 2199'?  It looks pretty neat and
> I would be interested in hereing from somebody that has played it.

I bought "Alien Fires" about a year ago.  I thought that the concept
was great, but the implementation was somewhat lacking.

The three-dimensional maze of multicolored rooms through which you can
wander is a good idea.  (You have to remember and map rooms by their
color and shape.)  And, the rock music soundtrack that changes as
you enter different rooms adds considerably to the ambience.

However, having the characters speak to you via the Amiga's speech
device is a big loss.  Often, you can't understand what they are
saying (particularly when they mention names of other characters).
Since your replies must be typed and spelled correctly, this is a real
problem.  (They should have displayed a requester with the text of
what the character is saying.)

Also, the game starts to get into a rut after the first couple of
levels.  Each time you kill a bad guy, his friends get angry and come
after you.  So it soon gets to the point where you are engaging in
combat in almost every room, and getting killed off with monotonous
regularity.  You can't save the game without restarting it, which is
really annoying.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.