[comp.sys.amiga] Wishlist continues

protcoop@leibniz.uucp (06/22/89)

Here is my entry for the WorkBench wishlist.  I have been meaning
for a long time now to try it out on my machine to see if it works
now before I post it.  It always seemed that I would never remember
when my machine was around.  Well ... last night I remembered and
it doesn't work.

We should be able to drag icons on to the WorkBench screen and
'snapshot' them there so whenever you insert that disk into the
drive, not only will the disk icon appear, but so will any other
project/tool/drawer icons that you snapshotted onto the WorkBench.
This can't be too difficult to implement can it?  It sure would make
things a lot easier.  For example, I use the PD 'FlamKey' to lock
up my machine when I leave it.  Now I have to open the disk, open the
drawer, then click on the icon.  I wish I could just snapshot it onto
the WorkBench.  This would be especially useful for hard-drive owners
whose favorite tools are five and six levels deep in the file system.
Almost makes me happy I don't have a hard disk ;-)

The icon being on the WorkBench should still know where everything
lives (i.e. what path it came from).  This path could possibly be
stored in the 'info'.
---------------------
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (06/23/89)

In article <640@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:
>We should be able to drag icons on to the WorkBench screen and
>'snapshot' them there so whenever you insert that disk into the
>drive, not only will the disk icon appear, but so will any other
>project/tool/drawer icons that you snapshotted onto the WorkBench.
>This can't be too difficult to implement can it?

I agree, and have been thinking that Commodore should address this
'feature'. At present I invoke MyMenu which allows customized menus
(and pop-off menus) complete with hot-keys to be added to the
workbench. This is almost as good (maybe better - less screen clutter!)
for hard drive users, and common programs where opening the floppy for
just one program is too much effort...

>The icon being on the WorkBench should still know where everything
>lives (i.e. what path it came from).  This path could possibly be
>stored in the 'info'.

More important than where the program came from (as WB already takes
care of that, is the way to tell WB which icons to bring out. We can't
expect WB to scan the ENTIRE disk for info structures and check each one
to see if it should be displayed on the WB can we? Maybe some sort of
deamon could be created which maintains a small file in the root dir
(.info2 ?) of a disk and somehow convinces WB to pull thos icons out.

>Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
>NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
>613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

{ The opinions expressed herein ARE those of my employer...
				I'm self employed!		-sjorr }

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Joel Avery) (06/26/89)

As far as identifying which icons to put on the WorkBench screen goes, I
was thinking that maybe the disk.info icon could have a 'pointer' to the
next icon that is to be put on the WorkBench.  We could just maintain
a linked list of icons.  This structure could prove useful for other
things as well.