[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice Files Utility

stan@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) (06/23/89)

I have been trying to use the "files" utility that comes with
Lattice 5.02 and have found it to be very buggy.

One good way to get a visit from the GURU is to cd to the root of a disk
and then try to execute:

      files -name foo /bar

That is, look for a file named foo in the "subdirectory" bar
(the manual gives such an example). Seems like it should just be:

      files -name foo bar

But that gives no output, even if the file exits!  The disk gronks
a lot and you get the impression the program is searching, but
no dice.

If you execute:

      files -name #?.c .

the program does indeed list every ".c" file in every sub-directory,
just like it should.  However, if you execute:

      files -name foo.c .

knowing full well that foo.c was in the previous listing, you get
no output besides the usual banner.

Ack!

Anyone else have similar experiences with this puppy?
I'm running on an A1000 with 1.5Meg, dual floppies.

| Stan Gibbs                                                               |
| stan@cv.hp.com || {hplabs,tektronix}!hp-pcd!stan                         |

bryan@geo-works.UUCP (Bryan Ford) (06/27/89)

In article <5660046@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, stan@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) writes:
>I have been trying to use the "files" utility that comes with
>Lattice 5.02 and have found it to be very buggy.

I also have found Lattice's Files command very buggy, and also quite
useless, because I can do almost as much with the ARP Search command.  Just
use 'Search <other options> FILE' and it'll search the filenames rather
than the file contents.  You can use the ALL option to recursively descend
directories.  (This makes a good Where command.)

Just a little (hopefully) helpful tip...

				Bryan

   _/ Bryan Ford - bryan@geo-works.geo-works.com \_
 _/    ..!utah-cs!caeco!i-core!geo-works!bryan     \_
/   ..!uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!geo-works!bryan    \