[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disk games that multi-task

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (06/28/89)

[ hard disk games that don't require reboot discussion ]

In article <5850@hubcap.clemson.edu> disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:

>Here's one you might like to avoid.  I was lucky that I could take it
>back to the store.  (Traded it for Prospector.)
>
>Test Drive II ---  It is flashy.  It even looked sort of fun.  I was
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>thrilled when I read in the manual that they too had made provision for
>HD's.  So I write protected the *original* floppy, and started the

[ text deleted about writing on original disk and loading from that disk
  instead of the "play disk" on the HD. ]

>is not too bad, but I think they should've spent more time play-testing
>it on a hard disk system.  I had at least 5 gurus in that hour.
					   ^^^^^^^
>I expect better than that, so back to the store it went.  Just
>as well, really, since I thought their copy protection and "play disk"
>method are dreadful and should be soundly condemned.  I think they crippled
>an otherwise fine looking game.

I completely agree.  I have however, played for many hours on my 500 without
a single guru.  I do have to remember to hit the keyboard occasionally or
disable Qmouse. :^)  It multitasks nicely, play is fun and somewhat
addictive, but has too many negative points.  You have select your hard
disk as the play disk every time you start the game.

	[ insert favorite signature here ]
	Steve McClure