[comp.sys.amiga] Net on Amiga 1000/AMax

A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) (06/27/89)

hi,
  i already asked but didn't receive any answer: does anyone know of
a (possibly cheap) net where I can link together some PCs and an Amiga (1000!)?
Please answer, we need it desperately.

2.) Does  anyone own AMax already and is willing to tell me the first
 impressions (what doesn't work, how good is it really/ speed..etc).

tnx 10e6 (to those who answer.)
konrad

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (06/28/89)

In article <8906261914.AA18456@jade.berkeley.edu>, A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) writes:
> 2.) Does  anyone own AMax already and is willing to tell me the first
>  impressions (what doesn't work, how good is it really/ speed..etc).
>
> tnx 10e6 (to those who answer.)
> konrad
   I've had A-MAX for 4 days now. Basically, I thinks its way cool! I've
only had one serious problem: the Cutting Edge Mac-compatible drive
I bought with it did not work on my A1000; the machine would not even
kickstart with the drive plugged in. Sans Cutting Edge drive, A-MAX
worked fine. A call to ReadySoft today and a little minor surgery on
the A-MAX did the trick, the Cutting Edge drive is working now. NOTE:
the drive worked as-is on a friend's 2500, so the incompatibility, which from
impression's gained on GEnie seems to be common, may only be with the
Amiga 1000.
   Compatibility seems to be excellent: so far I have successfully run
Versaterm 3.10 (vt100 emulation), SuperPaint, ResEdit, MacWrite 2.20,
Edit (a simple text editor), Air Warrior (our multiuser flight simulator),
and a rather hairy custom graphical data base program I wrote that
we use in house, all with no problems. I'm running System 6.0.2, and
MultiFinder works. I don't normally use it when I can avoid it, so
I'm not running MultiFinder routinely. A-MAX makes no sounds except
a beep.
   Its faster than a Mac Plus, for sure, probably faster than an SE.
I'm not sure, because I usually use a Mac II at work. Anyway, Air Warrior's
frame rate was visibly better under A-MAX than on a Plus, maybe even
twice as good. The Amiga floppies reading A-MAX format disks are at least
as fast as Mac floppies, maybe even a tad faster.
   The interlace can drive you bonkers. I'm seriously jealous of the
flicker flxer on the 2500 :)
   Overall, very impressive. Will be lots better when they add hard disk
support.
   Kelton