[comp.sys.amiga] video problem in interlace

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (06/26/89)

Anybody had this problem before?

While in interlace mode the screen "bounces" a few times then the text
loses its "sharpness".  The display looks like you need to go in and get
a new prescription for the ol glasses or maybe its time you had some!

Switching back to to non interlace the screen black lines interspaced
between the colors - alternate scan lines....
A light grey background looks like this:

This is NOT interlace Flicker!  If I then reboot I get a nice sharp
interlace screen  - for a while.  What is really frustrating is I just
had my computer in to replace a dense IC.  I asked them to check this
problem, however, all they did was check the MONITOR on another computer.

I would like to know a little bit more about what COULD be wrong
before I take it back.

Thanks for any and all suggestions...

Shan

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (06/27/89)

In article <3104@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>Anybody had this problem before?
     Yep.
>While in interlace mode the screen "bounces" a few times then the text
>loses its "sharpness".  The display looks like you need to go in and get
>a new prescription for the ol glasses or maybe its time you had some!
[Stuff deleted]
>I would like to know a little bit more about what COULD be wrong
>before I take it back.
     Ok. The 1084 I've been using does this exact same thing. Good interlace
screen for a while, then the electron gun on the second (interlace) scan
starts shifting downward until both sets of images (each interlaced frame)
are being displayed on the same row of phosphors. VERY ugly image. My best
guess is that the flyback oscilator is unhappy, but I'm not a tech, and I
don't even play one on TV. The 1084 is in the shop, and a Diamondscan is
on the purchase list.
     Does your monitor also begin high pitched whine-like noises? I'm told that
this is also caused by, at least in many cases, a flyback oscilator giving up
the ghost.
     At any rate, it is NOT the computer's fault. (At least, it wasn't in my
case.) I'm using another monitor for the moment (monochrome. Ag) and it works
just fine in interlace mode, no matter how long I leave it there.
                                                       - R'ykandar.
--
| "Signature V1.2.1.2..." | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix@ukma.bitnet |
| "Got enough addresses, bub?" | CIS 72406,370 | PLink: Skywise      |

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (06/27/89)

In article <3104@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

>Anybody had this problem before?
>
>While in interlace mode the screen "bounces" a few times then the text
>loses its "sharpness".  The display looks like you need to go in and get
>a new prescription for the ol glasses or maybe its time you had some!

I have seen this before and I think I know what caused it.  It
only ever happens (to me) when I am in the initial writing phases
of a program.  I believe that something has stomped a few selected
bytes in the Screen or NewScreen structure causing to be confused
about whether it is in interlaced mode or not.  Note that it is
just as easy for a piece of sloppy code to stomp the WorkBench's
screen as any other screen.  Usually I reboot as soon as practical
after seeing this because the guru is probably hiding just around
the corner when the next byte gets trashed.  I may be wrong about
this being your problem, but I have never seen it with commercial
programs and it always goes away with mine as soon as I fix whatever
stupid bug is invariably there. (actually, your bug is probably extremely
subtle, MINE are stupid :-)  If it were hardware you would expect
it to remain after a warm reboot, but it doesn't.

		Kevin Dooley

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

jmdavis@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.michael.davis) (06/28/89)

I have this "interlace fuzzing" problem too. I notice it usually when I
first power up. It doesn't happen often, but I have never seen it after
my computer has been on for 8 hours or so. I usually (un)setlace and
work for awhile that way then about 1 hour later I setlace and all is
fine.

I would be more than happy to hear that this is a cheaply fixable problem
with the 1084 and that Commodore will be supplying a fix.

        I am just about fed up  |       Mike Davis
        and I will only take it |       ..!att!ihlpm!jmdavis
        a few more times.       |

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (06/29/89)

In article <292@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> jmdavis@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.michael.davis,ix,) writes:
>I have this "interlace fuzzing" problem too. I notice it usually when I
>first power up. It doesn't happen often, but I have never seen it after
>my computer has been on for 8 hours or so. I usually (un)setlace and
>work for awhile that way then about 1 hour later I setlace and all is
>fine.
     I wasn't going to post publicly on this (I Emailed the first person)
but since it seems to be a whole lot more common that I thought, I decided
to throw my two cents in. The 1084 I was using also does this. It started
out doing it only when the monitor had been running for some time, but
got progressively worse. It also made whining noises and began losing
convergence. I think the whining and the interlace problem are both due
to a flyback oscillator being most unhappy, but don't quote me on that,
I'm not a tech and I don't even play one on TV. It is very certainly a
monitor problem, however; particularlly if one uses interlace a lot, like
I do.
     The aformentioned 1084 is in the shop, and a Diamondscan is on the
purchase list.
                                                 - R'ykandar.
--

vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/29/89)

In article <12009@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <292@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> jmdavis@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.michael.davis,ix,) writes:
>>I have this "interlace fuzzing" problem too. I notice it usually when I
>>first power up. It doesn't happen often, but I have never seen it after
>>my computer has been on for 8 hours or so. I usually (un)setlace and
>>work for awhile that way then about 1 hour later I setlace and all is
>>fine.
>     I wasn't going to post publicly on this (I Emailed the first person)
>but since it seems to be a whole lot more common that I thought, I decided

Actually, last summer saw a slew of postings on this subject and came to
the same conclusions. My original suspision that this is temperature
dependent is strengthened by the reappearance of this problem as the
outside temp goes up. Another thing is that this problem will mysteriously
clear itself up if you wait a bit.

It should also be better on the latest versions of 1084 or the old 1080's
[The first part is just a surmise. I haven't checked it. Would somebody
try it and tell us?]

I was away during last July and August. So I don't know if any solutions
were found. If you have access to some archives, you may try searching
thru them. I would dearly like a solution that costs <$50.
--
It is the man, not the method, that               Nath
solves the problem.                     vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu