[comp.sys.amiga] migrating from 1000 to 2000

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (06/19/89)

Now that I have just bought a new 2000 with a 2620 I would like to
find out the differences between the old 1000 environment and setup
and that of the 2000.  One thing I've already discovered is that my
old faithful vd0: will not work in this configuration.  Anyone have
any ideas as to why.  Another curious thing is that the A2620 does not
boot up like it did in the store with the nifty yellow screen and the
choice of 68000/68020 or AUX modes.  How does one make this happen
with a dual floppy(until I get my hardframe) system.  I saw it work so
I know there is nothing badly wrong.

I am using setcpu to move my kickstart into 32 bit ram.  Is there no
way to patch it so the drives do not click.  I sure appreciated that
feature on the 1000.  Ditto for the font.  I did not receive any docs
on the 2620 and since I bought it in germany I'm not sure I could have
used them anyway.  Do docs normally come with the card and if so where
can I get english versions.  CBM - any help here?  Although I am a
touch typist, my wife is not and the weird keytops cause her a bunch
of problems.  Since I use a modified version of usa0 keymap the keys
are where I expect them to be but the tops are marked with the German
characters.  Can I just pop the keytops off and move them around like
on the 1000 or is there a trick to it.  Also, I would like to purchase
the american keytops to replace the umlaut, ss, and other german
characters.  Is this possible/easy?

In summary, if people have traveled this path before, I would
appreciate their feedback and advice.  Email is probably more
appropriate since I'm sure this has been said many times before.
As usual,  thanks to all.
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/29/89)

In Message <259@syteke.UUCP>, jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:

>Now that I have just bought a new 2000 with a 2620 I would like to
>find out the differences between the old 1000 environment and setup
>and that of the 2000.  One thing I've already discovered is that my
>old faithful vd0: will not work in this configuration.  Anyone have
>any ideas as to why.

  I dont use VD0: - but have several friends who use it with A2000

>                      Another curious thing is that the A2620 does not
>boot up like it did in the store with the nifty yellow screen and the
>choice of 68000/68020 or AUX modes.  How does one make this happen
>with a dual floppy(until I get my hardframe) system.  I saw it work so
>I know there is nothing badly wrong.

  Just hold down both mouse buttons at boot time ;-)

>I am using setcpu to move my kickstart into 32 bit ram.  Is there no
>way to patch it so the drives do not click.  I sure appreciated that
>feature on the 1000.  Ditto for the font.

  You can actually use a disk based kickstart in that 32bit RAM rather
  than a copy of the ROM based kickstart via SetCPU V1.5  So hack up a
  disk based copy till its what you want, then use it.

>                                           I did not receive any docs
>on the 2620 and since I bought it in germany I'm not sure I could have
>used them anyway.  Do docs normally come with the card and if so where
>can I get english versions.  CBM - any help here?

  Last time I looked it came with some things besides the board ;-)
  Call CBM customer support and obtain the part number and price for
  ordering a replacement manual. (Of couse this will cost you)

>                                                   Although I am a
>touch typist, my wife is not and the weird keytops cause her a bunch
>of problems.  Since I use a modified version of usa0 keymap the keys
>are where I expect them to be but the tops are marked with the German
>characters.  Can I just pop the keytops off and move them around like
>on the 1000 or is there a trick to it.  Also, I would like to purchase
>the american keytops to replace the umlaut, ss, and other german
>characters.  Is this possible/easy?

  The easist thing might be to just buy a replacement keyboard from CBM.
  You can find out the price and part number when you call about that
  manual.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS