[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga monitors?

chaim@taux01.UUCP (Chaim Bendelac) (06/23/89)

What are the differences between the A1080, the A1084 and the 1084S ?

What are the differences between the American NTSC and the European PAL
versions of the above, i.e, what does it take to convert fromNTSC to PAL,
if that is at all possible?  Would that not be a desirable upgrade,
considering the higher resolution of the European PAL-Amigas?

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (06/29/89)

In article <2009@taux01.UUCP> chaim@taux01.UUCP (Chaim Bendelac) writes:
>What are the differences between the A1080, the A1084 and the 1084S ?

I only know the European versions: There are only minimal differences
between A1081, A1084 and A1084S (S=Stereo Sound). Basicly they are all
Phillips monitors.

>What are the differences between the American NTSC and the European PAL
>versions of the above, i.e, what does it take to convert fromNTSC to PAL,
>if that is at all possible?  Would that not be a desirable upgrade,
>considering the higher resolution of the European PAL-Amigas?

The main difference is the color system of the video part. The NTSC
color system is much different from the PAL and very incompatible. But
this is only important if you want to connect a VCR or a Genlock to
the video part.
If you use you Amiga then you only need RGB. The only difference here is
the Vertical Frequency (NTSC - 60Hz, PAL - 50Hz). All european Amiga
monitors support both 50 and 60Hz. So you can connect an NTSC Amiga to
a PAL AMIGA monitor. (Of course, you can only use RGB!).
You can change your Amiga to be PAL simply by installing a PAL Agnus or
a Fatter Agnus on which you can select the mode with a Jumper or with
Software. You could even make 50 Hz Software emulation on an NTSC Amiga!
My friend F. Buergel did the opposite (60 Hz on PAL Amigas). Look at
article 27935.
Before changing to PAL make sure your monitor works with 50Hz.

/* Peter Simeon             |       //                             //     */
/* UUCP: ...visinfo@bernina |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */