[comp.sys.amiga] Mono Monitors

spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) (08/13/87)

I noticed that Computer Mail Order was advertising the Amdek 410 Monitor in
the current issue of Amiga World.  It would be simple to plug a composite
monochrome monitor (like the Amdek 300a) to the Amiga, but I was not aware
that a TTL monochrome monitor would be compatible.  I assume that this is
connected through the RGB port, and I could get a clear 80-column display.
Does it display 16 shades of amber, white, etc.?  Is there a good long-perist
monochrome monitor out there?  I already have a Sony KV-20XBR which is great
for games, but I would like an alternative for text (hopefully 640 x 400).
Any comments?   *** Stuart Pierce ***

In article <1532@crash.CTS.COM> spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) writes:
> I noticed that Computer Mail Order was advertising the Amdek 410 Monitor in
> the current issue of Amiga World.  It would be simple to plug a composite
> monochrome monitor (like the Amdek 300a) to the Amiga, but I was not aware
> that a TTL monochrome monitor would be compatible.  I assume that this is
> connected through the RGB port, and I could get a clear 80-column display.
> Does it display 16 shades of amber, white, etc.?  Is there a good long-perist
> monochrome monitor out there?  I already have a Sony KV-20XBR which is great
> for games, but I would like an alternative for text (hopefully 640 x 400).
> Any comments?   *** Stuart Pierce ***

Most TTL monitors are intended for use with the IBM monochrome display adapter
and/or the later hercules type cards.  They are not NTSC compatible.  There are
some monitors that are CGA (color graphics adapter) compatibale or that support
gray-scale display of the color output.  I do not know if the Amdek 410 is in
this category and would check carefully before sending in your money.

The Amdek 300a in amber works quite nicely as does the amber Phillips/Magnovax
monitor.  The green Phillips/Magnavox monitor seems to be a short persistance
phospher in is best avoided.  Check that whatever monitor you try has the long
persistence phospher or you lose half the benefit.

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (06/29/89)

/* Eat this!!! */

I would like to get a 14" (or larger if not too expensive) monochrome
monitor with high-persistence phosphor (preferably amber, flat screen
NICE) to run on my Amiga.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I belive it
just has to be able to accept composite signals to work with Ami.

I have spent the last several weeks looking for such a monitor every
time I have a computer magazine with ads in it (frequently).  The
problem is that no ads specify phosphor persistence, few specify type
of input (and I know many are ttl only), and etc.

Does anyone have a mono-monitor that they are happy with?  Unhappy
with?  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Please email - I will summarize if I get any responses  (When I asked
for machine-readable device example from the 1.3 RKMs the only responses
I got were requests for me to pass on whatever I got :-)

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything