[comp.sys.amiga] How to send IFF graphics to the Montage FR1 slidewriter?

wizard@accsys.UUCP (Christoph Brand) (06/13/89)

I have the following BIG problem:
I'm using an IBM AT with a Montage FR1 slidewriter (by Presentation
Technologies).
It works fine, you can send either LL (Lasergaphics Language),
HPGL or Targa files to it and the slidewriter puts them directly
onto film with a superb resolution.
Beside the AT I also use an Amiga and now I'd like to be able
to send IFF graphics to the FR1 as well. I don't think it is
possible to convert IFF data into LL or HPGL, since these formats
are vector-, not bitmap-oriented, but maybe there's a way to
convert IFF to Targa (I don't know anything about that format)?
I've seen test slides that were cleary made from (Mac) bitmap data,
so it should be possible to send not only vector data.

Who knows a way to do this? It it *VERY* important!

Thanks in advance.

PS: Oh yes...does anybody know a business graphics program like
    Harvard Graphics or Perspective for the Amiga?
    What about a vectoy oriented paint program (NOT ProDraw,
    I mean something like DPaint...on Mac, many such programs
    exist...why not for Amiga?)

eric@topaz.rutgers.edu (Eric Lavitsky) (06/20/89)

In article <407@accsys.UUCP> wizard@accsys.UUCP (Christoph Brand) writes:

> I have the following BIG problem:
> I'm using an IBM AT with a Montage FR1 slidewriter (by Presentation
> Technologies).
> It works fine, you can send either LL (Lasergaphics Language),
> HPGL or Targa files to it and the slidewriter puts them directly
> onto film with a superb resolution.
> Beside the AT I also use an Amiga and now I'd like to be able
> to send IFF graphics to the FR1 as well. I don't think it is
> possible to convert IFF data into LL or HPGL, since these formats
> are vector-, not bitmap-oriented, but maybe there's a way to
> convert IFF to Targa (I don't know anything about that format)?
> I've seen test slides that were cleary made from (Mac) bitmap data,
> so it should be possible to send not only vector data.
>
> Who knows a way to do this? It it *VERY* important!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Gee, funny you should mention this. We (Active Circuits, Inc.) are
presently working on a driver for the Montage. I don't expect it
to be available before the end of the summer though we *may* be
showing it at Siggraph. Glad to know there's interest. We will only be
supporting bitmaps until some better standards for supporting
resolution-independent imaging on the Amiga are available.

In the meantime we do have a software product called ImageLink(tm)
which will convert IFF images to multiple formats (and vice versa),
including Targa files which can then be taken over to your AT for
imaging on the Montage (indeed our Montage support will be offered as
an ImageLink module). We even have a module which will allow the
previewing of the image on a Targa board mounted inside your Amiga
2000 via the BridgeBoard. Our software supports all Amiga IFF images
including those which follow the new 24-Bit ILBM standard set by ASDG
and used in their Professional ScanLab product. ImageLink supports
ARexx for building turnkey systems and also has direct links to
Sculpt-Animate 4D and Opticks (which is as yet unreleased).

Please call us at 201-223-5999 for pricing and availability info.

-Eric Lavitsky
Active Circuits, Inc.
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...rutgers!tstream!eric

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (06/27/89)

 If you can wait a bit I will have a image.library that work on IFF,IRIS,TARGA
,TIFF,ALIAS image format. And conversion betwen those format will be possible.

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (06/30/89)

In article <19916@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem)
writes:

> If you can wait a bit I will have a image.library that work on IFF,IRIS,TARGA
>,TIFF,ALIAS image format. And conversion betwen those format will be possible.

Stephan lives in my area and I have had a chance to see a couple of the
IRIS images. I've also seen some of the tools he has created.  If he says
he's going to have a multiformat image.library available for us, believe him!

I also have obtained from him the source code for ushow 4.0 and have his
permission to submit it to the appropriate places if he does not have the
time to do so in the near future.  As a teaser... he has fixed some bugs,
made it at least twice as fast as it was, added ability to call ushow as
the default tool from an image icon, added full overscan support, and STILL
kept it only 1024 bytes when assembled (he uses Devpac Amiga ... now I GOTTA
get this (asm) software too... starting to believe in Assembler again.)

Rob Peck