[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet Script files

rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (06/20/89)

I would like to know if there is a way to execute a script file with dnet.
What I want to do is startup dnet and then execute some file at the amiga
end and it will log on to the unix end and perhaps run a program.

I've tried to do this just bye echoing commands from the CLI to ser:, but
dnet locks the serial device, and this is not possible.  If there is
any way of doing this, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks, rsn

khawkes@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kurt Hawkes) (06/20/89)

In article <1452@ndmath.UUCP> rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>I would like to know if there is a way to execute a script file with dnet.
>What I want to do is startup dnet and then execute some file at the amiga
>end and it will log on to the unix end and perhaps run a program.
>
>I've tried to do this just bye echoing commands from the CLI to ser:, but
>dnet locks the serial device, and this is not possible.  If there is
>any way of doing this, I would appreciate the help.
>
>Thanks, rsn

I do not think you can use script files with dnet, but the idea of a
AREXX port in dnet is not a bad idea.  With AREXX it would be possible
to do script files.  I purchased AREXX a little while ago and I am just
getting around to learning it.

Kurt Hawkes
khawkes@beach.cis.ufl.edu

Kurt Hawkes                         khawkes@beach.cis.ufl.edu

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (06/20/89)

In article <1452@ndmath.UUCP> rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>I would like to know if there is a way to execute a script file with dnet.
>What I want to do is startup dnet and then execute some file at the amiga
>end and it will log on to the unix end and perhaps run a program.
[deletions]
>Thanks, rsn

Sounds like dnet needs an Arexx port.   8^)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!mcdphx!teroach!dbk |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |
(No BSD around here, otherwise I might be doing it.)

dillon@HERMES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (06/23/89)

:>end and it will log on to the unix end and perhaps run a program.
:[deletions]
:>Thanks, rsn
:
:
:Sounds like dnet needs an Arexx port.   8^)
:
:(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

	You are right, of course.  But I can tell you right now it
isn't going to happen for quite a while.

					-Matt (the DNet guy)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/27/89)

PLEASE PLEASE not an Arexx port. Don't make DNET dependent on third party
software. Just put a state machine in there.
--
***  Sean Casey                         sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Quid, me vexari?                   {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (06/30/89)

>PLEASE PLEASE not an Arexx port. Don't make DNET dependent on third party
>software. Just put a state machine in there.

Maybe this is a common misconception...

Adding an ARexx port does NOT make the software less usable for
people without ARexx.  It only makes in more usable for people
with it.  There are very few (if any) programs that add an ARexx
port and then yank out other interfaces as being "obsolete".

An ARexx port can be added to a program with only a small amount
of code, and the person without ARexx won't be able to tell.

For developers:  If your appliction can benefit from an ARexx port,
try to put it in (in an upgrade if you're out of time and money).
For a lot of people, an ARexx port often swings the decision between
competing products, so you're helping yourself out, as well as the user.
(Gosh, think of an ARexx connection between Magellan and say... DungeonMaster!)

.. Aaaagghhh... Klunk..  Sorry, fell off my soapbox

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.