[comp.sys.amiga] Question about upgrading to Fat Agnus

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (06/29/89)

I couldn't figure out how to reply to this path, so I'm using the net
(Apologies to anyone who is bothered by this... I thought the info
might be useful to others, anyway.)

>From: Michael Harris <uunet!MEVX01!dupont.com!HARRISME>
[I tried mailing to the path above and it bounced back]
>Subject: FATTER AGNES CHIP
>Paul,
>I was thinking of buying the new Agnus chip, and have a question.
>Will this chip work with the ECS that will come out with 1.4? I
>would hate to spend $100+ for a chip and find out months later that
>I've got to do it again for a new version of the Agnus chip.

Michael:
	The new fatter (or Super) Agnus is PART of the ECS.  The
other component is the new Denise and the features of that cannot
be utilized without 1.4.  So get the new chip!
	Paul.

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (06/30/89)

In article <7170@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
| 	The new fatter (or Super) Agnus is PART of the ECS.  The
| other component is the new Denise and the features of that cannot
| be utilized without 1.4.  So get the new chip!

Perhaps rephrasing the question...  If I were to buy the new Agnus chip
today, would I end up with a spare new Agnus when I subsequently bought
the ECS?  (Will the ECS only be sold *with* an Agnus included?)

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (06/30/89)

In article <1153@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) writes:
$If I were to buy the new Agnus chip today, would I end up with a spare new Agnus when
$subsequently bought the ECS?  (Will the ECS only be sold *with* an Agnus included?)
$--
$Jim Wright
^^^^^^^^^^^ (unfortunate name :-)

Hi Jim.  We (Commodore U.S.) have not announced any details regarding an
upgrade procedure to ECS.  However, since we usually allow authorized
service centers to purchase any chips separately, you should not end
up with a spare Agnus.  Once again though, I must make it clear that we
have not announced any details yet.

	Paul.