[comp.sys.amiga] 220->110V, 50Hz->60Hz transformer!

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (06/30/89)

Hi I'm looking for the above transformer.  I want to run a 110V/60Hz
Amiga from a 220V/50Hz power supply.  The frequency change is
necessary.  I'm also unsure about how much wattage I need?  Somebody
suggested 300W.  Using a 2000, Nec Multisync 3D and some other stuff!

Please reply with dealer name and phone number if you have any
information.

Bin

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (06/30/89)

In article <18764@louie.udel.EDU>, BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) writes:
> Hi I'm looking for the above transformer.  I want to run a 110V/60Hz
> Amiga from a 220V/50Hz power supply.  The frequency change is
> necessary.  I'm also unsure about how much wattage I need?  Somebody
> suggested 300W.  Using a 2000, Nec Multisync 3D and some other stuff!
>

> Bin

It is impossible for a transformer to change the frequency, if it is just a
transformer. The device would have to rectify line power to DC, and then use a
reference oscillator and a power amplifier to create AC at the new frequency.
All of this is a heck of a lot more complicated than a simple voltage change,
though it is saved somewhat by the fact that the output power amplifier doesn't
have to be very clean; it just has to have a lot of ooomph.