[comp.sys.amiga] Problem "cannot load handler" when formatting FFS partitions

johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston johnj@welch.jhu.edu) (06/17/89)

	I'm having an odd problem trying to format some of the partitions
on my (SCSI) WrenIII drive. I have mountlist entries made as per manual,
hddisk.device and hddisk.info and such in expansion (done by the HDinstall
program) but when I try to format my 3rd FFS partition it pukes something
like:

format dh2:
(works)

mount bin:
format drive bin: name Bin
(works)

mount usr:
format drive usr: name Usr
(works)

mount tmp:
format drive tmp: name Tmp
 -format failed
 cannot find handler

	Any ideas ? I have copied this stuff right out of the manual. I tried
running this booted off a floppy, too. I had binddrivers, and all that the
system-startup.hd run. It's odd - I tried rebooting and formatting tmp:
without mounting the other partitons - same thing. Nothing in the manual
about this, of course.

	Boy, I have to admit - for such a nice machine, the documentation
is pretty crappy. It's really a crying shame.

	--mjr();

In article <2911@osiris.UUCP> mjr@welch.jhu.edu writes:
>	I'm having an odd problem trying to format some of the partitions
>on my (SCSI) WrenIII drive. I have mountlist entries made as per manual,
>hddisk.device and hddisk.info and such in expansion (done by the HDinstall
>program) but when I try to format my 3rd FFS partition it pukes something
>like:

	The most common reason for this is saying there are more blocks on the
drive than actually exist.  For example, if there are 4 heads, 17 blocks/track,
and 612 cylinders, but 1 block/cylinder is spared out for bad block mapping
(not unusual on a SCSI drive), then you have (I think) the equivalent of
602 usable cylinders (or 612 cylinders of 1 Head, (4*17)-1 blocks/track).
It's ok to lie (within limits) to a SCSI drive.  Note that you should not
tell an A2090 that you have more than 127 blocks/track, it gets confused.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering.  Keeper of AmigaDos.
 {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup