[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with comp.binaries.amiga

uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (06/23/89)

	This is my first time trying to get a file off of comp.binaries.amiga,
so if anyone could clue me in to what I am doing wrong (or what I'm not
doing), it would be greatly appreciated.
	What I did: I went to comp.binaries.amiga and saved all 4 of the
jazzbench.(1)(2)(3)(4) files. I went back to my home directory and
executed 'sh jazzbench.1', 'sh jazzbench.2' and so on. This worked fine
(I had already trimmed off the header of the file).
	Now, I have 4 files, jazzbench.zu1, jazzbench.zu2, jazzbench.zu3 and
jazzbench.zu4. What do I do with the 4 files now? I trieduunzooing them, but
the computer responded witha 'Corrupted Archive Header'.  Arc doesn't
work, and sh doesn't work. Is there another command I need to execute, or
did the person who posted this post it wrong somehow?
		-Thanks, Brandon!
	(I DID get the comp.sources.amiga IFF2SUN working properly, however)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (06/23/89)

In article <7318@cs.Buffalo.EDU> uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) writes:

>        Now, I have 4 files, jazzbench.zu1, jazzbench.zu2,
>jazzbench.zu3 and jazzbench.zu4. What do I do with the 4 files now? I
>tried unzooing them, but the computer responded witha 'Corrupted
>Archive Header'.  Arc doesn't work, and sh doesn't work. Is there
>another command I need to execute, or did the person who posted this
>post it wrong somehow?

These are uuencoded zoo files ("zuu files") which are split into
managable (to the news software) pieces.  Simply type:

cat jazzbench.zu? | uudecode

to create jazzbench.zoo, which zoo will handle correctly.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) (06/24/89)

>/ hplsla:comp.sys.amiga / uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) / 10:22 am  Jun 22, 1989 /
>
>	This is my first time trying to get a file off of comp.binaries.amiga,
>so if anyone could clue me in to what I am doing wrong (or what I'm not
>doing), it would be greatly appreciated.
>	What I did: I went to comp.binaries.amiga and saved all 4 of the
>jazzbench.(1)(2)(3)(4) files. I went back to my home directory and
>executed 'sh jazzbench.1', 'sh jazzbench.2' and so on. This worked fine
>(I had already trimmed off the header of the file).
>	Now, I have 4 files, jazzbench.zu1, jazzbench.zu2, jazzbench.zu3 and
>jazzbench.zu4. What do I do with the 4 files now? I trieduunzooing them, but
>the computer responded witha 'Corrupted Archive Header'.  Arc doesn't
>work, and sh doesn't work. Is there another command I need to execute, or
>did the person who posted this post it wrong somehow?
>		-Thanks, Brandon!
>	(I DID get the comp.sources.amiga IFF2SUN working properly, however)
>----------
you need to cat all the jazz files into one file then uudecode and zoo them.

i.e.
$cat jazzbench.zu1 > jazzbench.zuu
$cat jazzbench.zu2 >> jazzbench.zuu
$cat jazzbench.zu3 >> jazzbench.zuu
$cat jazzbench.zu4 >> jazzbench.zuu
$uudecode jazzbench.zuu
etc.

David Bakeman

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (06/24/89)

In article <7318@cs.Buffalo.EDU> uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) writes:
>	Now, I have 4 files, jazzbench.zu1, jazzbench.zu2, jazzbench.zu3 and
>jazzbench.zu4. What do I do with the 4 files now? I trieduunzooing them, but
>the computer responded witha 'Corrupted Archive Header'.  Arc doesn't
>work, and sh doesn't work. Is there another command I need to execute, or
>did the person who posted this post it wrong somehow?
>		-Thanks, Brandon!
>	(I DID get the comp.sources.amiga IFF2SUN working properly, however)

For lazy people like me, the NewsBreak program is great. It does *everything*
for me. All I have to do is get all the files into a new directory and run
NewsBreak. It will unshar the files without me having to edit out the
headers, it will check the resultant files and do the appropiate cat and
uudecode. (The only extra I could want is for it to work for binary and source
gorups other with Amiga). NewsBreak was posted by G.R. Walter a while back.
(I seem to remember that it only works on Unix though).

Bob has done a great job moderating the groups, Newsbreak makes it trivial
to download.

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
(613) 763-2831		     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (06/26/89)

In article <5160046@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) writes:
> >/ hplsla:comp.sys.amiga / uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) / 10:22 am  Jun 22, 1989 /

!> $cat jazzbench.zu1 > jazzbench.zuu
!>! $cat jazzbench.zu2 >> jazzbench.zuu
!> $cat jazzbench.zu3 >> jazzbench.zuu
>! $cat jazzbench.zu4 >> jazzbench.zuu
> !$uudecode jazzbench.zuu
> etc.
>
> David Bakeman
a one-liner

cat file1 file2 file3 file4 ... > new concat file

--
Defination of HELL - A room full of MACS with all the right software
                     ............on 5.25" disks     ;-)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (06/26/89)

In article <5160046@hplsla.HP.COM> davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) writes:
>you need to cat all the jazz files into one file then uudecode and zoo them.

>i.e.
>$cat jazzbench.zu1 > jazzbench.zuu
>$cat jazzbench.zu2 >> jazzbench.zuu
>$cat jazzbench.zu3 >> jazzbench.zuu
>$cat jazzbench.zu4 >> jazzbench.zuu
>$uudecode jazzbench.zuu
>etc.

Gak!  How awkward and tedious...

1. cat(1) accepts any number of file arguments, so

cat jazzbench.zu1 jazzbench.zu2 jazzbench.zu3 jazzbench.zu4 > jazzbench.zuu

would have the same effect.

2. uudecode(1) will work equally well from its standard input instead
of being given a filename, so

uudecode < jazzbench.zuu

will work the same (this isn't particularly useful) and

cat jazzbench.zu1 jazzbench.zu2 jazzbench.zu3 jazzbench.zu4 | uudecode

will also work identically, saving the temporary file space and the
hassle of deleting it, etc.

3. The Unix shell (csh or sh) will sort filenames matched with
wildcards (the csh {...,...} form is an exception to this rule), so

cat jazzbench.zu? | uudecode

will match all four sections, sort the filenames, concatenate them and
decode them.

In cases where there are 10 or more sections, if parts 1-9 are
numbered as ...01 through ...09, then using ?? to match the numbers
will still sort them correctly.  (remember, this is an alphabetical
sort)  If numbered ...8, ...9, ...10, etc. then use ...? ...?? for the
patterns.  For example:

Given a 12-part zuu file, big.zuu.  (big.zu1, big.zu2, big.zu3,
big.zu4, big.zu5, big.zu6, big.zu7, big.zu8, big.zu9, big.zu10,
big.zu11, big.zu12.)

cat big.zu* | uudecode

expands to:

cat big.zu1 big.zu10 big.zu11 big.zu12 big.zu2 big.zu3 big.zu4 big.zu5 big.zu6 big.zu7 big.zu8 big.zu9 | uudecode

resulting in a corrupted big.zoo file.  (parts 10-12 end up between 1
and 2 instead of at the end)  [uudecode will probably either truncate
the file or error out, with the "end" line in the middle] on the other
hand,

cat big.zu? big.zu?? | uudecode

expands to:

cat big.zu1 big.zu2 big.zu3 big.zu4 big.zu5 big.zu6 big.zu7 big.zu8 big.zu9 big.zu10 big.zu11 big.zu12 | uudecode

which is correct.

Is that crystal clear now?

[please don't tell me that wasn't verbose enough!  ;-)]

Deven
--

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (06/27/89)

uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) writes:

>	This is my first time trying to get a file off of comp.binaries.amiga,
>so if anyone could clue me in to what I am doing wrong (or what I'm not
>doing), it would be greatly appreciated.
>	What I did: I went to comp.binaries.amiga and saved all 4 of the
>jazzbench.(1)(2)(3)(4) files. I went back to my home directory and
>executed 'sh jazzbench.1', 'sh jazzbench.2' and so on. This worked fine
>(I had already trimmed off the header of the file).
>	Now, I have 4 files, jazzbench.zu1, jazzbench.zu2, jazzbench.zu3 and
>jazzbench.zu4. What do I do with the 4 files now? I trieduunzooing them, but
>the computer responded witha 'Corrupted Archive Header'.  Arc doesn't
>work, and sh doesn't work. Is there another command I need to execute, or
>did the person who posted this post it wrong somehow?

What you must do now is use the "join" command to make one (1) file out of the
four (4) you have...as follows:

join jazzbench.zu1 jazzbench.zu2 jazzbench.zu3 jazzbench.zu4 as jazzbench.zuu

Notice the last file has extension '.zuu'. This means it has been run thru the
program 'uuencode' so that the binary is encoded in printable ASCII (Binary is
not allowed on usenet).

Run jazzbench.zuu thru the opposite program "uudecode" (format for the command
is "uudecode jazzbench.zuu"). This will create the file "jazzbench.zoo"
which you can now run thru ZOO (use the //x option).

The file was split so that you didn't have to download one humongous file.

I hope this has helped.

Larry Greenwald
UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
"I'm looking over a three-leaf clover that I overlooked be-three!"  -Bugs Bunny

In article <1706@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>In article <5160046@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman)
>writes:
 > >  >
 >! > $cat jazzbench.zu1  > jazzbench.zuu
 >! >! $cat jazzbench.zu2  > > jazzbench.zuu
 >! > $cat jazzbench.zu3  > > jazzbench.zuu
 > >! $cat jazzbench.zu4  > > jazzbench.zuu
 > > !$uudecode jazzbench.zuu
 > > etc.
 > >
 > > David Bakeman
 >a one-liner
 >
 >cat file1 file2 file3 file4 ...  > new concat file

Better:
      cat jaz* > jaz.zuu

This only works if the files are alphabetically in the order you want to
concatenate them in.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
I want to live forever or die in the attempt.

nix@tolsun.oulu.fi (Tero Manninen) (07/01/89)

In article <865@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
->In article <1706@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
->>In article <5160046@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman)
->>writes:
-> > >  >
-> >! > $cat jazzbench.zu1  > jazzbench.zuu
-> >! >! $cat jazzbench.zu2  > > jazzbench.zuu
-> >! > $cat jazzbench.zu3  > > jazzbench.zuu
-> > >! $cat jazzbench.zu4  > > jazzbench.zuu
-> > > !$uudecode jazzbench.zuu
-> > > etc.
-> > >
-> > > David Bakeman
-> >a one-liner
-> >
-> >cat file1 file2 file3 file4 ...  > new concat file
->
->Better:
->      cat jaz* > jaz.zuu
->
->This only works if the files are alphabetically in the order you want to
->concatenate them in.
->
->
->--
->John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
->|||||||||||||||          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406
->I want to live forever or die in the attempt.

At least in our Sun BSD 4.2 this 'cat jaz* > jaz.zuu' gives
me an error:  output jaz.zuu is input..  or something like this.
So you have to make this output file name a little bit different
than your wildcards match.  E.g. 'cat jaz* > Jaz.zuu'.

I got this zoo archive succesfully to my Amiga, but when trying to run wbsetup
it didn't work.  A system requester came and alerted me to insert 'RAM Disk'
to any volume :-?   Whatta heck is going on ??
My ram: is definetly running and trying to Assing "RAM Disk:" to somewhere
it produced only error that I can't cancel "RAM Disk".

Am I the only with these errors ?

					Tero Manninen

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (07/02/89)

In article <865@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> Better:
>       cat jaz* > jaz.zuu
> This only works if the files are alphabetically in the order you want to
> concatenate them in.
Beware if you have files that are in greater than 9 parts, as they are
stored as file1 file10 file11 file2 file20, etc... and cat file* will
not cat in the proper order.

George