[comp.sys.amiga] StarFlight and Quarterstaff for Amiga???

11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) (06/22/89)

Hello Users:

Starflight:

    I heard that new Starflight game come from Electronic Arts for IBM
only but I do not like that IBM-only games. I wish that Electronic
Arts shall port it to other personal computers for Amiga, etc..
But, it never come for other personal computers in many years. Why???
When it will release to Amiga version? I shall complaint that.

Quarterstaff:

     It come from infocom last year. It is for Mac, Apple IIGS, and
IBM. Where is Amiga? Does Infocom plan to port it to Amiga? When it
will release to Amiga version because Amiga have enough memory to
handle Quarterstaff?

Thanks!

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet People/Link: OCS130
Gallaudet University   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu GEnie: T.STARK1
P.O. Box 1453, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., Washington, DC 20002
"Gallaudet University is the only university for the deaf in the world."

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (06/22/89)

From article <8906221210.AA02877@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by 11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark):
> Starflight:
>
>     I heard that new Starflight game come from Electronic Arts for IBM
> only but I do not like that IBM-only games. I wish that Electronic
> Arts shall port it to other personal computers for Amiga, etc..
> But, it never come for other personal computers in many years. Why???
> When it will release to Amiga version? I shall complaint that.

I wrote to EA a year or 2 ago asking the very same question, and got a
polite letter back from them saying that they had no plans at this time
to do an Amiga port.  Apparently that has changed.  A friend of mine who
works at a software retailer, evidently called EA and asked them about
it.  I seems that they're planning to release an Amiga port and a C64
port this year.  We'll see.

I'd like to think that my letter had something to do with it, but it's
probably more the fact that there are 1 million Amigas now that did it.

> Quarterstaff:

As far as I know, Infocom is planning to do an Amiga port.  That effort
might be slowed now that Mediagenic has "relocated" the Infocom staff.

Gary

--
Father of Kathryn Leigh Heffelfinger ------ disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
          ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (07/03/89)

(Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>>     I heard that new Starflight game come from Electronic Arts for IBM
>> only but I do not like that IBM-only games. I wish that Electronic
>> Arts shall port it to other personal computers for Amiga, etc..
>> But, it never come for other personal computers in many years. Why???
>> When it will release to Amiga version? I shall complaint that.
>
>I wrote to EA a year or 2 ago asking the very same question, and got a
>polite letter back from them saying that they had no plans at this time
>to do an Amiga port.  Apparently that has changed.

I offered to do the Amiga port for EA a couple of years ago.  StarFlight
was written in Forth, and EA's position at that time was that there was
no way that the conversion could be done in any economically feasible
way.  Converting Forth programs (from my own experience doing it) is
one bitch of a job, since Forth so strongly encourages every malign
hacker instinct, and Forth programs are more often than not impenatrable
masses of spaghetti code.  EA felt that they couldn't afford to pay
anyone enough to be able to get the project done and still make money
on it.

By the way - did you notice that one of the original demo pictures in
DPaint is an illo for StarFlight?

>I seems that they're planning to release an Amiga port and a C64
>port this year.  We'll see.

They have said this consistently from day one.  Talk to the technical
folks instead of the marketing folks before you hold your breath.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa