[comp.sys.amiga] Let's give Stephen reasons for working in high-level langua

silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) (06/30/89)

 jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

>#
>In article <19917@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem>
>In reference to an IFF library written in C:
>> C? why not ASM?....

	various anti-assembly comments deleted

>Opinion 1: Any program that touts being written in 100% assembly language
>	should be dismissed as being trivial or the product of an
>	immature (inexperienced) programmer.

  This is really ripe.  This translates, at least to me, that anyone
who would be "dumb enough" to write a program completely in assembly
is an immature programmer.  I'm sure you wouldn't call Mark Riley an
immature programmer, but he programs mainly in assembly. Sonix is
a good example of his work.   Hardly the type of program an inexperienced
programmer would write.

 Not to start an ASM vs C war and waste bandwidth, but your hypothesis
that people that like assembly are people who cant afford C compilers
doesnt hold much water.  I can afford both, in fact own both, and
prefer assembly.

Direct flames to dev.null.

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (07/03/89)

 some reply to joe Simth and others.

First yes I have a C compiler for the amiga for 2 years now.I curently have
lattice 4.01 and I'm ordering 5.0 for 75$.

 Assembly for immature inexperienced programers:-) I love talk like that.
I'm sure you took advanced C and assembly classes and have background for
your thought.I wonder how people how develop the exec librarie feel when
they read you 'opinion 1:'.I anderstand it would be a little stupid to but
on a data base label '100% assembly'.file viewer dont unvolve complex
programing, but I think people can apreciate program than run 900% faster.

	I totaly agrea with 'opinion 2', I use C to creat the body and replce
all the 'important' part when I have the time.

	When I creat a program I alway add the shared subroutines in librarie
if I found they can be used in other programes.or I use a top down still
with documented include.If I have a main program using a calculator, palette
etc I do them separactly.I curently done that and one program use 23 object
files.

	Ushow4.3 ,yes.Was taken from version 3.4 and why should I rewrite
the program in C? when everything is amiga specific and is alredy in ASM?
	Untill you see my code please dont make any conclusion on it...

								Stephan.

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (07/03/89)

 Rob, I'm doing the library documentation right now and I'm taking ARP as
example.I think arp was well received.Only 7 on 30 function are documented,
but it's comming ok.Also about ushow the version I gave you it out of date,
since I had some complaint about it use on a flickerfixer A2000.
 It's now fixed also has 4 way to close the screen, from keyboard to popup
menu.I have only I slight problem with overscan and the menu.Should be fixed
very soon.

								Stephan.