[comp.sys.amiga] 2500 UX

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (07/02/89)

Something is basically wrong with anyone who uses a disclaimer when they talk

             "My thoughts claim no responsibility for my body"
                          tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
                      Sysop, the Penthouse ]I[ BBS
                           (201)759-8450
                           (201)759-8568

Is the Amiga 2500 UX available???

If so, where can I get one ? (mail order I assume)

Does anyone have any idea how good the UNIX is???

All answers greatly appreciated.

In article <[465]un.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>Is the Amiga 2500 UX available???

Yes, ONLY to qualified commercial developers.

>If so, where can I get one ? (mail order I assume)

You can ONLY get directly from Commodore. You can contact:

Brenda Billings - CATS
1200 Wilson Drive
West Chester, PA 19380

>Does anyone have any idea how good the UNIX is???

It runs AMIX, a port of AT&T Unix System V, Release 3.1, and  provides the
AMIX proprietary Windowing Interface.

Price is *CONFIDENTIAL*. The original "technology announcement" of AMIX
posted a while back on Usenet and other nets (after the COMDEX show) included
the following disclaimer:

"PRELIMINARY INFORMATION -- SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
			NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE"

As far as I know, *ALL* THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS A MATTER OF PUBLIC RECORD.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

ford@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (07/03/89)

In article <18216@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>It runs AMIX, a port of AT&T Unix System V, Release 3.1, and  provides the
>AMIX proprietary Windowing Interface.

The current beta versions of Amix are based on SysV Release 3.2, with
various Berkeley and PD extensions.  Support for additional window
systems is also included.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!ucsd!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

orr@newport.rutgers.edu (John Orr) (07/05/89)

In article <7199@cbmvax.UUCP> ford@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:

> The current beta versions of Amix are based on SysV Release 3.2, with
> various Berkeley and PD extensions.  Support for additional window
> systems is also included.

Would job control be included as one of these Berkeley Extensions?

Just currious...

ford@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (07/06/89)

In article <Jul.4.13.59.35.1989.9989@newport.rutgers.edu> orr@newport.rutgers.edu (John Orr) writes:
>Would job control be included as one of these Berkeley Extensions?

Not BSD job control; that comes with SysV Release 4 (someday).

Amix does have System V "job control" (the "shl" program).
--

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (07/06/89)

In article <7199@cbmvax.UUCP>, ford@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
> In article <18216@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> >It runs AMIX, a port of AT&T Unix System V, Release 3.1, and  provides the
> >AMIX proprietary Windowing Interface.
>
> The current beta versions of Amix are based on SysV Release 3.2, with

Q: When will a production version be released?
Will it have a software development system (e.g., cc, vi, man pages, nroff--
the later is now probably part of a document processing bundle)?  How will
the software be bundled?

> various Berkeley and PD extensions.  Support for additional window
> systems is also included.
> --
> 					-=] Ford [=-

Q: Does the Berkeley extensions include csh and sockets?  Will the X Window
System be part of the "support for additional window systems"?  What
sort of "support" are we talking about?

Q: What sort of Amiga configuration would I need to run Unix? How much
RAM to be comfortable (i.e., not just the minimum RAM to run--how
much will I need to run well)?  How much disk space?  80 MB? 100+ MB?

Q: How does the Amiga boot up Amix?  This may seem like a strange
question, but let me give an example using the Macintosh:  The Macintosh
first boots up the Mac System/Finder and then runs A/UX (Apple's
UNIX) as a MacOS program (albeit a program that takes over the system).
This way one can cancel the A/UX start-up and then run MacOS
programs (from a different disk partition or from floppies).  The advantage
is that you get a UNIX workstation and a Mac (even though you essentially
have to reboot to get from one to the other--and yes I know that
some MacOS programs can be run from A/UX).  Will something like this
be possible under Amix?  What I'm looking for is the advantages of
UNIX and the advantages of the Amiga--all in the same hardware
platform (I like to ask for the world).  (Please do not flame me for using
an example that includes a mention of Another Computer.)

Q: What will all of this cost?  (Even ballpark figures would be helpful).

In summary, I am interested in a cheap colour graphics UNIX workstation,
I am interested in the Amiga and I am very interested in the X
Window System (I am the co-author of _X Window Applications Programming_).
Any solution that can combine the three looks peachy from my point of
view--especially from the innovative people that put together the Amiga.

Thank you for any information,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having