[comp.sys.amiga] Homebrew Cables

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) (04/14/89)

I want to make my own modem cable for my Amiga 1000 computer.  Could
anyone send me the necessary pin connections to do this, or tell me
where I could find out how to do it?  Thank you.
--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (04/15/89)

In article <1788@aucs.UUCP>, 840445m@aucs (Alan W. McKay) writes:
>I want to make my own modem cable for my Amiga 1000 computer.

Good for you!

>Could
>anyone send me the necessary pin connections to do this, or tell me
>where I could find out how to do it?

First, you should get a good book on RS232 to know what pins do what.
Most technial bookstores sell such manuals.  Then, get out your dusty
_Introduction_to_Amiga_ book that came with your A1000, and use pages
7-11 and 7-12 as a guide to what pins on the Amiga's seiral port are
normal and which are abnormal.  Don't connect anything to pins 14, 21,
or 23 (unless you know what you're doing).  Good luck!

	...tad

protcoop@leibniz.uucp (06/16/89)

I want to extend my external disk drive cable but I wonder how long
I can make the thing without degrading performance in any way.  Has
anybody out there tried this?  I want to do it so I can program with
my A500 on my lap, the way I used to do with my 1000.  Also, I have
a monitor that has an cable coming right out of the back of it.  The
cable goes into an IBM CGA card.  The RGB port on the AMIGA seems to
have the pins I need (R,G,B,I, Horiz, Vert, GND).  I want to make a
cable to be able to use this monitor.  Has anyone tried this.  I took
the monitor cable connector apart last night and discovered that the
RGBI pins were all soldered together with resisters between them ...
but each had its own wire running into the cable (all but Intensity
I think).  What is the longest I should make the monitor cable?

Finally ... where the heck (in CANADA hopefully) can I get DB23
connecters?  Everyone tells me that only C= makes them.  I say they
are full of BS.
----------------------------------
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (06/17/89)

From: protcoop@leibniz.uucp Message-ID: <609@bnr-fos.UUCP>

>I want to extend my external disk drive cable but I wonder how long
>I can make the thing without degrading performance in any way.  Has
>anybody out there tried this?  I want to do it so I can program with
>my A500 on my lap, the way I used to do with my 1000.  Also, I have
>a monitor that has an cable coming right out of the back of it.  The
>cable goes into an IBM CGA card.  The RGB port on the AMIGA seems to
>have the pins I need (R,G,B,I, Horiz, Vert, GND).  I want to make a
>cable to be able to use this monitor.  Has anyone tried this.  I took
--Stuff Deleted--

   Maybe this isn't what you want to hear but why not yank the keyboard
out of the plastic frame and make a simple 7 (8,9?) wire extension
cable to hook the keyboard to the A-500 ?? *OR* if you have the extra
bucks lying around for projects like this see if a B-2000 keyboard
will work with it, sounds much cleaner :-)

	Seems to me that this would be much more preferable to slinking
numerous cables down the side of your desk whilst you type (I've
got 11 cables running out of this da*n thing !!). The keyboard is
a simple (probably ascii) converter that takes a keystroke and
translates it into a parallel converted word. As such it is merely
laid into the A-500 frame with a small cable (only one) that hooks
it to the motherboard.

	I've been toying with this idea myself :-)

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil (Earle Ake) (06/19/89)

Alan,

     I don't know how far you could extend your AMIGA external drive
cable without degradation.  If it goes by the standards of RS232C,
you could get away with 50 feet or so!  I believe it would be safe to
assume that a distance of 10 or 15 feet would be reasonable if you
needed that much.  As far as DB23 connectors go, I may be able to help.
In Dayton, Ohio we have an annual event called HamVention where a lot
of HAM radio operators meet and have a large swap meet.  They also enjoy
computers as well.  There were 3 dealers set up this year that had DB23
connectors.  Here are the addresses and phone numbers of the three.  I
don't work for any of them, I am just providing information.

                 CNE
                 305 University Blvd
                 Glassboro, NewJersey 08028
                 (609) 881-6779

                 "D" Connectors
                  23 Pin Female  .65/each .575/each quantity ten or more
                  23 Pin Male    .75/each .625/each quantity ten or more

                 "D" Connectors with hood
                  DB23 Female 3.50/each
                  DB23 Male   3.00/each

                 LTRON
                 8245 Brookside Rd.
                 Elkins Park, PA 19117
                 (215) 671-1613
                 (215) 924-4000

                 Prices about the same as "CNE"

                 Bill Barrick
                 13 Lafayette Drive
                 Phoenixville, PA 19460
                 (215) 933-0369

                 Again prices about the same as "CNE"

     I know the prices for "CNE" only because I have their catalog. Hope
this helps you and anyone else out that needs DB23 connectors for their
AMIGA.

                                            -Earle Ake
                                            akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (06/25/89)

In article <609@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:

>Finally ... where the heck (in CANADA hopefully) can I get DB23
>connecters?

If all else fails use a hacksaw on a DB25 connector.  Just be careful
when interpreting the lower row of numbers, they'll be off by one.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (06/25/89)

In article <10037@dasys1.UUCP>, rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) writes:
> In article <609@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:
> >
> >Finally ... where the heck (in CANADA hopefully) can I get DB23
> >connecters?
>
> If all else fails use a hacksaw on a DB25 connector.  Just be careful
> when interpreting the lower row of numbers, they'll be off by one.
>
> 					-- Rod --
>
> Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
> Big Electric Cat Public Unix
> 	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"

Er, won't they be off by TWO?

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/07/89)

In article <10037@dasys1.UUCP> rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) writes:
>In article <609@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:
>>
>>Finally ... where the heck (in CANADA hopefully) can I get DB23
>>connecters?
>
>If all else fails use a hacksaw on a DB25 connector.  Just be careful
>when interpreting the lower row of numbers, they'll be off by one.

I managed to find DB-23 in one of those computer flea markets.
They had nifty shielded hoods too.

                            - Bear