[comp.sys.amiga] More CBM in the <BAD> News

Two rather unpleasant items concerning CBM in the news recently ...

San Jose (CA) Mercury News, Thursday, 29-June-1989, BUSINESS section page 3:

"	COMMODORE STOCK FALLS: Commodore International Ltd.'s stock price
	plummeted 21 percent Wednesday at news that the computer company
	might report its first quarterly loss in three years.  It closed
	down $3.75 to $14 in heavy trading.  West Chester, Pa-based Commodore
	said it expected earnings for its fourth quarter ending Friday to range
	"from a modest profit to a modest loss," depending on actual sales.
	Sales also are expected to be below the $215 million reported in the
	fourth quarter of 1988, the firm said.
"

San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, 30-June-1989, BUSINESS section page 2:

"	               A-SQUARED SYSTEMS WINS AWARD

	A-Squared Systems, an Oakland (CA) maker of personal computer devices,
	said it won an award worth more than $890,000 against Commodore-Amiga
	Inc. and Commodore Business Machines.  The award, which was given by
	arbitrators and confirmed by Santa Clara County (CA) Superior Court,
	was for Commodore's failure to adequately market A-Squared's "LIVE"
	video-imaging device.
"

In article <20035@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>San Jose (CA) Mercury News, Thursday, 29-June-1989, BUSINESS section page 3:
>
>"	COMMODORE STOCK FALLS: Commodore International Ltd.'s stock price
>	plummeted 21 percent Wednesday at news that the computer company
>	might report its first quarterly loss in three years.

The Wall Street Journal made clear that Commodore problems are not just CBM's
but of all US companies that have most of their earnings from foreing countries
and of technology stocks in particular.

The strong dollar penalizes companies like CBM, whose 70% earnings come from
Europe. The WSJ said the following in the Friday issue, after the biggest
nose dive of the DJIA since the October 1987 crash:

"Wednesday, a negative earning forecast by Commodore International caused
a major reassessment about the technology sector. Now money managers are
afraid that other industrial groups will follow technology into a slump, so
they have been readjusting portfolios in preparation for a rough ride in
stocks.  [...] Technology stocks were among the weakest performers as
investors responded to Amdahl's projection that second quarter earnings would
be down 25% to 30% .. Amdahl plummeted 3 1/2 to 16 5/8 ... International
Business Machines retreated  2 3/8 to 11 1/2, DEC dropped 2 to 92 3/8, Compaq
Computer skidded 3 to 89 7/8, Hewlett-Packard fell  1 1/2 to 51 5/8, Cray
Reaserch lost 1 3/4 to 49 1/8, and Tandem Computers fell 3/4 to 16 7/8."

Note also that both Sun Microsystems and Apple Computers have had their stock
plummet in the past weeks for lowest than expected earnings [ Apple finished
at 40 5/8, down 1 1/8; Sun closed at 16 5/8, down 3/8 after a BIG dive during
the previous weeks].

You don't need a money manager to believe that this is certainly the time to
stay away from "technology" stocks.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (07/02/89)

In article <18203@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) suggests ...

) You don't need a money manager to believe that this is certainly the
) time to stay away from "technology" stocks.
)
) -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Au Contraire, my dear Sir !!!

If one is seeking long term portfolio gains, now may well be the
time to invest ... Indeed, if North American high tech companies
are not performing admirably on the exchanges, this fact may well
promote takeover bids on the part of overseas ( ie. japanese )
investors.

In turn, said takeover bids may well buoy up the stock of the
aforementioned "failing" North American high tech company
( especially in the case of a smaller company ).

I'm not just talking through my hat, either ... this phenomenon
has occurred several times on the Toronto Stock Exchange in the
last few months ( and no doubt on the Dow Jones and other exchanges,
as well ).

Of course, this is not to say that investment in high tech firms
is not "risky" ... but then again, it usually always is !!

--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto

In article <20035@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Two rather unpleasant items concerning CBM in the news recently ...

Actually, they aren't all that bad. In fact, for the US market they are
probably good news.

>San Jose (CA) Mercury News, Thursday, 29-June-1989, BUSINESS section page 3:
>"	COMMODORE STOCK FALLS: Commodore International Ltd.'s stock price
>	plummeted 21 percent Wednesday at news that the computer company
>	might report its first quarterly loss in three years.  It closed
>	down $3.75 to $14 in heavy trading.  West Chester, Pa-based Commodore
>	said it expected earnings for its fourth quarter ending Friday to range
>	"from a modest profit to a modest loss," depending on actual sales.
>	Sales also are expected to be below the $215 million reported in the
>	fourth quarter of 1988, the firm said.
>"

Hmmm, lose a little money might they? Joining all the other computer companies
in the world on this count. And like the other companies there are some
clearly silly reasons for this. Commodore's sillest move was to use the
currency advantage to sell Amigas in Germany below cost. The reason this
was stupid was that when the currencies reversed (the German Mark got
stronger) the margins went out of their German sales (which are significant)
and thus went out of their sales period. Whoops, there goes the revenue.
The good news is that this 8 billion dollar PC marketplace in the US is
opening up again. Yup, both Apple and IBM did something they should never
have done, fragment the market and build incompatible PCs. By pushing the
PS/2 and IIC[X], IBM and Apple have said quite clearly to the marketplace
that the 16 bit market is "up for grabs" just like the 8 bit market was
when Commodore became very successful with the C-64. And Commodore is
uniquely positioned to capitalize on this market in the same way the
C-64 capitalized on the 8 bit market. It is the "Let's buy it for the games,
and see what else is available for it." syndrome. Why is this good?
Because people like a Mac using friend of mine did just that, bought one
to play games on. After that I suggested to him that if he used it as
his dial up terminal he could use his Mac at the same time. (Which he did)
And then for a couple of hundred dollars he could get a C compiler and
at least do a syntax check on his code while his Mac was busy. And what
do you know, he uses the Mac less and less. Why? Because all of the
interesting stuff for him is going on in Color on the Mac II and he only
has a Mac SE. But the Amiga has color, and is quick too.

So the good news is that the good old US market might finally get the
proper attention of CBM. And it will be earnest, we want to sell computers
to the people attention, rather than the sort of mismash we've seen in
the past. Copperman had a lot of good things to say at the DevCon, but
so did Max Toy. The keys are consistency and follow through, and there
is nothing like having the CEO of the holding company (CIL) looking for new
markets to stimulate innovative thinking. Finally, now you too can get some
stock and make a few bucks over the next couple of years.

>San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, 30-June-1989, BUSINESS section page 2:
>
>"	               A-SQUARED SYSTEMS WINS AWARD
>
>	A-Squared Systems, an Oakland (CA) maker of personal computer devices,
>	said it won an award worth more than $890,000 against Commodore-Amiga
>	Inc. and Commodore Business Machines.  The award, which was given by
>	arbitrators and confirmed by Santa Clara County (CA) Superior Court,
>	was for Commodore's failure to adequately market A-Squared's "LIVE"
>	video-imaging device.
>"

This is even better news, because not only did A-Squared get screwed
originally, but also this seemed to be "business as usual" for CBM.
What we can hope will be gained by this experience at Commodore
Business Machines is to not to enter into agreements that they aren't
100% comitted to following through on. Fortunately, the current staff
at CBM seems to have learned this lesson. Thats good. And when a child
is bad you spank it, and when a corporation is bad to take away some of
its profits. Hopefully, they will be a better company because of this.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"