[comp.sys.amiga] Split archives

iwm@ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (07/04/89)

I have a problem with long binaries that are split up before posting. The
difficulty is getting them together in the right order! The reason for this
is the convoluted route I use to transfer files:
  Unix : Unshar
      | Kermit
   Mac
      | MCopy
   MS-Dos
      | DOS-2-DOS
   Amiga : uudecode & zoo

Why such a long route ? The MSDOS machine is far away in a cold terminal room
and using kermit on it is so slooow, but it can read mac discs.

Anyway, kermit, mcopy , dos-2-dos and msdos all have their ideas about legal
file names and what to do if two names clash. Thus long_name_indeed.zu2
might become longxnam.ex0 (or similar). It would be nice if there was
some kind of sequencing in the uuencoded file perhaps as a comment line
or an extra command for uudecode to check.

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/04/89)

You may want to consider doing what I do, which is to download the entire
posting, move it through all the intermediaries (sp?) and then unshar, join,
uudecode, ... everything right on the Amiga.  Works fine if you have either
a hard drive or enuf memory.  Let me know if you want a really nice
version of unshar that will handle concatenated postings and everything.
		     -- Darren

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (07/04/89)

In article <IWM.89Jul3204000@amvax5.ic.ac.uk> iwm@ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:

   I have a problem with long binaries that are split up before
   posting.  The reason for this is the convoluted route I use to
   transfer files:
      Unix : Unshar
	 | Kermit
      Mac
	 | MCopy
      MS-Dos
	 | DOS-2-DOS
      Amiga : uudecode & zoo

Do the uudecode and zoo on the UNIX host and just transfer the ONE
.zoo file along this path.  Not only do you now only have one file to
deal with instead of many, but it's a lot smaller, too.

Your UNIX host should already have uudecode, and you can get the UNIX
version of Zoo via anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu (/pub/zoo-2.01/).

All this depends on MCopy and DOS-2-DOS being able to copy *binary*
files without translation (Kermit can do this).  If MCopy or DOS-2-DOS
insists on translating newlines and such, you should probably find a
better method of downloading these programs (or find utilities that
don't do gratuitous translations)... :-(

	...tad

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (07/06/89)

iwm@ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) wrote:
>It would be nice if there was some kind of sequencing in the uuencoded file
>perhaps as a comment line or an extra command for uudecode to check.

Yes, you're right, it would be nice.  I have little hope for uuXcode, but
the real-soon-now release of btoa is supposed to do just that.  If it does
all the other things it's rumored to do, I'll consider switching the encode
format.

..bob

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (07/07/89)

In article <18981@louie.udel.EDU>, new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
> You may want to consider doing what I do, which is to download the entire
> posting, move it through all the intermediaries (sp?) and then unshar, join,
> uudecode, ... everything right on the Amiga.  Works fine if you have either
> a hard drive or enuf memory.  Let me know if you want a really nice
> version of unshar that will handle concatenated postings and everything.
> 		     -- Darren

I do all the steps on the UNIX machine, then Zoo up the entire
package into an MS-DOS acceptable file name, download the Zoo on
the IBM (bridgeboard or machine at work), Dos-2-Dos into Amiga
and extract the Zoo.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (07/07/89)

In article <18981@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>You may want to consider doing what I do, which is to download the entire
>posting, move it through all the intermediaries (sp?) and then unshar, join,
>uudecode, ... everything right on the Amiga.  Works fine if you have either
>a hard drive or enuf memory.  Let me know if you want a really nice
>version of unshar that will handle concatenated postings and everything.
>		     -- Darren

    I for one would like to see a more intelligent unshar program. Does yours
    skip the UUCP header stuff? if so please e-mail me a copy.

    Thanks in advance,
    Monty Saine