[comp.sys.amiga] Powering down drive...HELP!

In <4557@crash.cts.com>, lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>I've got a quirk with my GVP 80 meg hardcard...I'm not sure if this is a
>problem or normal behavior. My drive has been giving me "AmyFF0 has a
>read/write error" requester for a few days now (AmyFF0 is a 40 meg FFS
>partition). The problem I've noted is that the drive is SHUTTING DOWN (That's
>right, it stops spinning!) then after a while, it restarts up and all problems
>go away (disk is validating fine).
>
>I have checked all connections, reseated it in the slot, pushed in the chips
>into their sockets, and it still happens. Is this a bug or is this normal
>behavior??

This is not normal behaviour. The most common causes of a drive shutting down
are

1. Voltage problems. The 12V is usually the culprit. Check all connections, and
   if possible, measure the voltages while the drive is running.

2. You have a jumper misplaced on the drive itself. This is less likely, but a
   possibility.  Some drives allow you to set a jumper so that they will shut
   down after a period of non-use.

Good Luck.

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |