[comp.sys.amiga] Xtetec controller

In <1889@leah.Albany.Edu>, hb136@leah.Albany.Edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>Are Xetec Controllers that Fast?
>Consumer Alert
> [ much deleted ]

>   While it is true that the Xetec controllers did provide test results
> that were stated in the Amiga World articles, Xetec (either accidentally or
> on purpose) designed a MAJOR BUG into their controller so that it would too
> well.  It works like this:  all of the disk performance test programs have
> several things in common; they all use standard AmigaDOS Save/Load routines,
> they all store successively larger files and none of them test for data
> integrity.  The BUG in the Xetec products prevents them from doing sequential
> reads or writes of more than 128K of data, and it does so without reporting
> any error of any kind to indicate that the file was not written or read
> properly.  This allows the Xetec products to read (or write) only the first
> 128K of a 1Meg file and still seemingly complete the test, and very quickly
> at that!

Let me first say that I don't have a Xetec controller, I am not familiar with
them, and don't even know anyone who owns one.

That's a pretty hefty accusation. Do you really think that a company would
design a controller to get good performance tests and corrupt data in real-life
use? I hope your lawyers are good.

The real question is not whether or not the Xetec (or any other controller for
that matter) will handle a request of >128K, but whether or not the fact is
documented. This is a simple matter of setting a MaxTransfer value. If indeed
they don't document this in their manuals, it is a grave mistake indeed. Of
course I wouldn't go so far as to accuse them of corrupting data to get the
performance figures up.

> Note SOME Manufacturers were unsuccessful in using this HARDdrive -- We
> supports MOST every drive made.)

We?  Is this yet another thinly veiled slam at a competitor by C Ltd.? Let's
hear from a Xetec owner about that documentation.

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |