[comp.sys.amiga] An alternate archive site

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/07/89)

I found an Amiga archive in the other newsgroup.   /Joe

From: koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: An alternate archive site (anonymous uucp)
Date: 4 Jul 89 19:23:23 GMT
Sender: usenet@saturn.ucsc.edu

[I'm forwarding this since lots of people might find it useful.  I will still
 try to set up an archive of my own; I should know by next week whether that
 will work out or not. -sg]

Welcome to the mgse archive site.  This system was formally the home of the
Pern BBS system, but because few people called after the system was switched
to the SCO Xenix operating system, the BBS was removed from service.  This
system consists of a 286 PC, 2 327 megabyte Micropolis hard drives, 14
megabytes main memory, two 2400 baud modems, 60 megabyte tape backup (QIC 24),
and a 1000VA ups system.  The system should be up at all times.

The system can be accessed via anonymous uucp. There are presently two modems
on the system. The first line is a Telebit on loan from rdgame, it is setup
to answer in PEP mode and then drop down to non-PEP mode. The second line is
a 2400 baud modem. To modem answers at 2400 baud, you need to send a break to
cause it to switch down to 1200 and then to 300.
You will need to set up your uucp's L.sys with one of the following lines:

For the telebit:
mgse Any ACU 9600 15044669109 ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--ogin: archive

For the 2400 baud modem:
mgse Any ACU 2400 1504471069 ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: archive

For non Telebit users, please try to refrain from using the Telebit,
unless the 2400 baud number is busy. I get news and mail hourly on
the Telebit, and will use if to for the archive server when i get it
up.

For those wishing to access the archives from a non Unix machine, you
will need some form of uucp program, uuslave and uupc are two, uupc is, I
believe available for the PC, the Amiga, and the Atari ST.

Listing of available files from comp

This listing is a daily concationation of the index files of the archives I am
maintaining.  The currently archived groups I am maintaining are:

alt.sources comp.binaries.amiga, comp.binaries.atari.st, comp.binaries.ibm.pc
comp.sources.amiga, comp.sources.games, comp.sources.misc, comp.sources.unix,
comp.sources.x

The first files you may want to get are listed below;

/archive/help		this file
/archive/list		a ls -l listing of all the archives
/archive/list.Z		a ls -l listing of all the archives, compressed
/archive/index		a index of all the archive files
/archive/index.Z	a index of all the archive files, compressed

The differant groups are stored under directories in the \archive
directory. Other list and index files are available. look under
/archive/comp/sources/unix/index to get a index of available postings
to the comp.sources.unix archives, or /archive/comp/binaries/atari/st/list
to get a list of what is available that was posted to the cbas newsgroup.

In addition to the above, I am have a number of other things available.  These
will be documented as they are ready.

Most files in this system are stored in a compressed format to save space and
as well as to decrease transmission time.  If you are unable to access a file
that is listed, or a file has something wrong please let me know.

I can be reached by mail from UUNET as rex!mgse!marks.  If you are
able to add to the archives I am maintaining, or have something you feel that
a number of users would be interested in, please drop me a line.

I am willing to provide archives by diskette, and tape, provided return
postage is included.  Media that is sent without return postage will become
the property of this system.  The tape format is the QIC 24 standard, I have
been able to read/write this tapes amongst a number of machines and am pretty
sure it is the standard format.  If you want the archives on disk, format the
disks, and include a note stating what format it is, and what you want, but
keep the list short.  The turn around time on the media you send will depend
on the mail, and my work load, which at present does not exist. If you wish
to get archives on 1/2 inch tape, check with me, and i will see if i can
get use of a tape drive.

Mark Seiffert.

Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (07/07/89)

In article <306@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
-I found an Amiga archive in the other newsgroup.   /Joe
-
-From: koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm)
-Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
-
-For the telebit:
-mgse Any ACU 9600 15044669109 ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--ogin: archive
-
-For the 2400 baud modem:
-mgse Any ACU 2400 1504471069 ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: archive
-
-For non Telebit users, please try to refrain from using the Telebit,
-unless the 2400 baud number is busy. I get news and mail hourly on
-the Telebit, and will use if to for the archive server when i get it
-up.
-

Unfortunatly, after this was posted i found out it had the wrong phone
number for the 2400 baud line. The currect entries for the L.sys file are;