[comp.sys.amiga] More SimCity Blues

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (07/06/89)

SimCity looks like a great game, but acts a bit flakey. Several times when
I've tried to save games (and messed up) I've been returned to the game
with the pointer disattached from the little box that moves around to
place the various places and things. This, of course, renders the game
completely unplayable. It's also hung up a couple of times (for no evident
reason), and once refused to load at all (the disk drive just chugged on
endlessly). Do these sound like the notorious Chip RAM problem at work?
Also, at some point in the City the program begins making noises at me,
that either sound like cars honking (or maybe a train?). I can't figure
out what this is supposed to me, and can't find it in the manual. Anyone
have a clue?

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/07/89)

In article <1968@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
>SimCity looks like a great game, but acts a bit flakey. Several times when
>I've tried to save games (and messed up) I've been returned to the game
>with the pointer disattached from the little box that moves around to
>place the various places and things. This, of course, renders the game
>completely unplayable. It's also hung up a couple of times (for no evident
>reason), and once refused to load at all (the disk drive just chugged on
>endlessly). Do these sound like the notorious Chip RAM problem at work?
>Also, at some point in the City the program begins making noises at me,
>that either sound like cars honking (or maybe a train?). I can't figure
>out what this is supposed to me, and can't find it in the manual. Anyone
>have a clue?

Yes, you are (probably) hearing cars honking. When you get an airport
built, you will get a trafic helicopter giving you digitized audio
trafic reports!

As far as the "chip ram problem" goes...The Maxis Newsletter states that
this can be cured by NOT starting the workbench. This can be done by
CTRL/Ding out of the startup-sequence before the loadwb is executed,
and issuing the "simcity" CLI command yourself.

This must be true, as I have never encountered the problem with chip ram,
and I run 3 HD partitions, plus DF0:, and I DON'T load the workbench.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)