[comp.sys.amiga] The four color problem

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (07/08/89)

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 89 14:32 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: The four color problem (was Re: Re: Clicking on Irregular Shapes (and the four color problem))
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

In article <54160@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
Jeff Martens <martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes :

    Probably not good maps then -- the US is not 4-colorable.  Consider
    West Virginia, Ohio, and Wyoming, for example.  They each have more
    than 4 neighbors.

A map's "goodness" may be a rather subjective measure but if what you refer
to is the ability to color a map without having neighboring states/areas
using the same color, it seems that you missed something.  A state having
more than four neighbors does NOT mean that it requires MORE than four
colors to prevent neighboring states from having the same color.  For
example, imaging the following state FOO which has several neighbors as
sketched below:

                  BAR --- XYZZY --- PLUGH
                   | \      |      /  |
		   |       FOO        |
	           |   /    |      \  |
                 FROOP	----------- SCUMDOGGIE

clearly (well, somewhat clearly) FOO has 5 neighbors.  Now, imagine colors
indexed from 0 to 3...this arrangement can be colored as follows:

                  0          1         2

                             3

                  1                    0

It's rather easy to see that with a simple case like this only four colors
are needed.  Now I'm not positive of all the aspects of it, but
the four color theorem says basically that four colors are enough for maps
which do not have such features as non-contiguous regions (and the example
usually given is of a region which has two parts, one of which is enclosed
by another region--like when you want to color the space around a doughnut
and the space in the hole of the doughnut the same color).  I don't know if
this causes a problem when coloring the US--I suspect that if you allow one
further color for bodies of water, then four colors for all of the states
will suffice.

Montgomery N. Kosma

disclaimer:  this has nothing to do with Lockheed--I'm just hanging around
saving a world on one of my lispms.

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (07/09/89)

In article <19250@louie.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>are needed.  Now I'm not positive of all the aspects of it, but
>the four color theorem says basically that four colors are enough for maps
>which do not have such features as non-contiguous regions (and the example
>usually given is of a region which has two parts, one of which is enclosed
>by another region--like when you want to color the space around a doughnut
>and the space in the hole of the doughnut the same color).  I don't know if
>this causes a problem when coloring the US--I suspect that if you allow one
>further color for bodies of water, then four colors for all of the states
>will suffice.

Good point. I screwed up in my previous posting on the subject, because
I was thinking about Alaska and Hawaii as the "noncontiguous" portions,
and they do *not* cause problems. You can still 4-color such a map,
even including using one of the four colors for the ocean.

What can cause a problem is the example in another posting of a state
split by a great lake (Michigan)...both halves of the state must be the same
color, and this additional constraint could make the map non-4-colorable,
depending on surrounding configurations.

Looking at a map of the US, it's difficult to see whether Michigan
is in fact a problematic configuration, but it may be.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (07/09/89)

}
}What can cause a problem is the example in another posting of a state
}split by a great lake (Michigan)...both halves of the state must be the same
}color, and this additional constraint could make the map non-4-colorable,
}depending on surrounding configurations.
}
}Looking at a map of the US, it's difficult to see whether Michigan
}is in fact a problematic configuration, but it may be.

No problem.  Since there is no *other* state separating the two parts of
michigan, you can make a modified US map with the Michigan and UP connected
by an infintessimal thread.  this thread will not cut any other state and so
you now have a normal, four-colorable map, and so you four color it.  the
thread will make the two parts of michigan act as a single connected region and
so be colored with a single hue, and then just use THAT coloring for the
original map.

Bodies of water are more complicated because unlike governmental
boundaries, they don't really start and end, but really just
interconnect to form huge serpentine regions that cut the land-regions
into assorted discontiguous shapes.  The entire Mississippi/Missouri
complex wouldhave to be a single color, and Louisiana, for example,
would be divided into a zillion not-connected pieces.  I suspect,
though, that even with considering connected bodies of water as regions
(even though that gives you disconnected land regions), you can still
four-color the whole mess.  I'm *sure* that if you consider ALL bodies
of water as a *single* (of necessity disconnected) region, then you're
sunk.

  /Bernie\