[comp.sys.amiga] Does "DigiView" work with a 68020?

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (07/06/89)

I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket and I've found an ad for a
place which sells a 68020 board for $350, ostensibly compatable with all Amigas
(my 1000 was explicitly listed).

And of course, the second thing that popped into my mind (immediately after
"Wow, that would be cool!") was "Will it work with all my existing stuff?

DiviView in particular is a good case in point. While a conversion is going on
the interrupts are shut off. The software is detecting both vertical and
horizontal retraces and then using a software loop to decide where on the scan
line to fire the sample-and-hold prior to software A/D conversion.
(It is also probably relying on another software loop to calibrate the
settling time on the D-to-A before checking the comparator in the
A/D conversion.)

If you didn't follow any of that, don't worry. All it means is that the
software is relying completely on knowing that it is running a 68000 of a known
clock rate. If you change either, then unless the software detects that and
uses a different loop constant (or a different loop) then DigiView will get
hopelessly mixed up and totally fratz the conversion, probably by spreading
the leftmost part of the target across the whole screen. [Oh, and the 68020's
cache should louse things up, too.]

My real question is: Has anyone out there actually tried using a DigiView (3.0
software) with either a 14 MHZ 68000 and/or any 68020?

[Now for a stupid question: Does Arkanoids run impossibly fast with a 68020?
It isn't really important, because we can kick it into "slow" mode, but it
would be nice to know if they are synchronizing to the vertical retrace or just
doing it as fast as they possible can.]

[I feel a little guilty posting this because I'm sure it has come up before,
but not VERY guilty, because it isn't in the monthly "most asked questions"
post that just came by here.]

Steven C. Den Beste,   BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge MA
denbeste@bbn.com(ARPA/CSNET/UUCP)    harvard!bbn.com!denbeste(UUCP)

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (07/07/89)

I have used my Digi-View Gold and the original on all my systems, These include
an A1000 with Midget racer(7mhz) an A2000 with CSA 020/030/dragstrip and also
on a A2500 in both 020 and 68000 modes and had no problem at all. The CSA 030
that I have is at 14Mhz. I have also used it on a GVP Impact board at 25Mhz
and experienced no problems there either.  I think you can safely say that it
works with most of the accelerator boards on the market. Note I have not tried
it with the Ronnin Boards or the CMI stuff.

As to the game you mentioned, I am not familiar with it but I can tell you that
games such as F18 and Falcon and a few others really scream when they get 32
bit memory to play in.

Rick

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (07/07/89)

In article <42329@bbn.COM> denbeste@BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>My real question is: Has anyone out there actually tried using a DigiView (3.0
>software) with either a 14 MHZ 68000 and/or any 68020?
>
>Steven C. Den Beste,   BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge MA
>denbeste@bbn.com(ARPA/CSNET/UUCP)    harvard!bbn.com!denbeste(UUCP)

Yes and no.  It works fine on my A2620 board.... until you try to use the
digi-droid, then it don't work so good.   NewTek is aware of this problem
and may fix it someday.  If you don't need the 'droid then your o.k.

  Stan Fisher - stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com - asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -        (602) 438-3228

Re: Steven Den Beste's question about DigiView on an '020 Amiga ...

The core DigiView (all versions) works fine with an '020; I use it with
both a Ronin and a CSA setup.

As I've stated before, however, the routines for operating the Digi-Droid
(the motorized color wheel attachment) do NOT function if the 68020's cache
is enabled.  A fix was promised 18 months ago; we're still waiting.  :-(

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]