------
From: rvillari@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Al Villarica)

I have a great suggestion!  I am now using a Multisync GS by NEC (about $240).
I made the cable myself (and it isn't hard to do that) to connect the GS
to the RGB port of my 2500.  If you adjust things right, you'll get a good
interlaced workbench screen that is quite good (I've used it for several
hours without any eye strain that I could notice).  I got it at
USA FLEX.  The nice thing about this is that you may still be able to use
it when the new chip set arrives, since this thing is a multisync monitor.
It is grey scale, and graphics is really crisp.  I'm very happy with it.
If you can send this message to usenet, please do.
  %al
------
From: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza)

Bingo!  I have the Princeton Graphic Max 15.  It's has a flat screen and
measures (surprise!) 15 inches across.  It was about $285 from PC Connection.
I also tried to get an amber screen on any mono multisynch but I never found
one aside from the NEC Multisynch GS (Gray Scale) but isn't available any more;
it goes for about $200 but I don't know about its phosphor.

	Back to the Max 15,  I've decided it has a long persistence phosphor --
it doesn't say so anywhere.  I wasn't too sure at first because it does
flicker a bit when using white characters on dark background.  However, I
recalled the one ad I did see for the Max 15 saying it was a paper-white
display, so I followed the advice from a net-article and switched to grey
background with black characters in  i n t e r l a c e  and it's been heaven!
(more on this later).  It can smear quite a bit with bright animations on
a dark background but so far it's not a problem; Jet looks OK after a minute
or so.

>Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it
>just has to be able to accept composite signals to work with Ami.

	It has a composite connection which I'm using on my 2000 -- works fine.
I also have a 1000 but I haven't gotten around to trying its color composite
output so I tried it just now ...

	Looks kinda weird; it has a peculiar cross hatch-pattern; as if there
were also vertical scan lines --  Wow!  Like I said, black characters on
a grey background look great in interlace.  It also looks good my 1080; it
does flicker some but I find it quite tolerable and now I see that it
even looks on my friend's Magnavox which is also connected to my 1000.
The Magnavox is equivalent to the 1084 if not just the same thing with a
different label -- and not so great as many will attest to.

	The Max 15, on the other hand, has a maximum resolution of 1024 X 768
and will work fine with the new Enhanced Chip Set (ECS).  I was chatting with
a guy at a local Amiga shop and he said they will have a new high res mode
(1000-something X 400-something; a variation of the Viking monitor?) that
the Multisynch GS won't be able to handle but that the Max 15 should.

	It also has TTL/PC connections ("also?" make that "primarily!")
It appears to support EGA, CGA, MDA, and VGA.  It has a switch that allows
it to work with Mac II with an appropriate cable.  It come with two(!)
cables, one with a DB-9 and one with DB-15.  I tried to hack one of
them to connect to me Amiga's RGB port but I so far I bungled it.  (It
can still be done but I'll need help).

>I have spent the last several weeks looking for such a monitor every
>time I have a computer magazine with ads in it (frequently).  The
>problem is that no ads specify phosphor persistence, few specify type
>of input (and I know many are ttl only), and etc.

   I know what you mean.  The first I heard about the Max 15 was by posting
to comp.sys.amiga like you're doing ...

>Does anyone have a mono-monitor that they are happy with?  Unhappy
>with?  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

 ... and I'm giving you a lot more information than I got at first. ;-)
Wrapping-up: it comes with a tilt stand, but I removed it so it will fit in my
computer desk's hutch.  My only disappointment is that it has no speaker.
Happy?  Definitely, but I'm still dying for a Sony color multisynch though
it may have to wait 'till after I get an Amax and a Digi-View.

Flip side,

	joe piazza
------
From: Yuan 'Hacker' Chang  <yuan@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>

-NICE) to run on my Amiga.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I belive it
-just has to be able to accept composite signals to work with Ami.

	Wrongo.  You find those with composite input if you want a cheap
monitor.  There are mono monitors which takes TTL signals at NTSC
frequency, just that they're not very popular (almost all TTL mono monitor
takes IBM MDA frequency instead).  You have two routes: (1) get the
wonderful Viking Moniterm 19" monitor (you get something like 1024 x 900).
(2) get a monochrome multi-sync type monitor.

-problem is that no ads specify phosphor persistence, few specify type
-of input (and I know many are ttl only), and etc.

	There's usually a phosphur rating number, like P39 or something
like that.  Anything around 22 is about the persistence of your regular
color monitors.  I thing 33 - 39 should be good enough for interlaced mode.
You might want to ask a techy (a TV tech or something) about the P numbers,
and actually testing the various monitors you're considering.
------
From: phoenix@ms.uky.edu

     I'm not sure, but I don't think you need to use composite to hook up to
a monochrome monitor. But you DO need a monitor that will deal with a variety
of inputs - say, a multisync monochrome designed with VGA cards in mind.
The NEC Multisync GS should fit this category. Runs about $150 mail order,
paper white display, flat screen. (I think I'm remembering all this
correctly...) You could look into it.
                                                   - R'ykandar.
------
From: vpnet!mithelen@obdient.chi.il.us (Paul Jerkatis)

>NICE) to run on my Amiga.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I belive it
>just has to be able to accept composite signals to work with Ami.

Yeah.. The Amiga does put out a standard composit signal.. I had my
friends hooked up to an APPLE (Ugh) Greenscreen once and it worked nicely...
------
End of summary

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/10/89)

In article <2709@blake.acs.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>/* Does the line-eater know when it has been insulted??? */
>
>Following is a summary of all information-containing responses to my
>request for information regarding monochrome monitors...
>
>From: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza)   [ That's me! ]
>
>Bingo!  I have the Princeton Graphic Max 15.  It's has a flat screen and
>measures (surprise!) 15 inches across.

	Oops!  Scaning over the spec sheet I see that the picture tube is
14 inches diagonal with an active display area of 230mm wide by 173mm height.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu