[comp.sys.amiga] Fatter AGNUS and the ECS

jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (07/06/89)

A couple weeks ago I posted some questions concerning what Fatter AGNUS
actually brought to the AMIGA.  Some of you were kind enough to give me
more of the pieces of the puzzle, and to you - THANKS!!

There was one question though that did not get answered.  Or if it did I
am a little too obtuse to recognize it.  In either event let me try it
one more time.

My primary question at this point is - - -
As the owner of a 2000HD why would I (Joe Average User) want to upgrade to
the Fatter AGNUS (Read - what can it do for me).

A related question revolves around the complete Extended Chip Set.  I under-
stand that the Fatter AGNUS is a part of the ECS, hence the bridge to this
question.  Why would I want to upgrade to the ECS.  What functionality would
I get that I currently do not have, or what would be improved?

What issues need to be considered in deciding whether to upgrade to the ECS
or only the Fatter AGNUS, or just leave things alone.

If any of these questions seem vague it is only because my knowledge base
in this area is also vague.  I would appreciate any help clearing up the
fog.  If I get enough input I will try to summarize it to the net since
I have seen enough questions come across to let me know there is quite a
bit of confusion out there over these issues.

Thanks for all the great help thus far, and for that which is forthcoming.

Regards,  Jerry.

In article <19052@louie.udel.EDU> jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry
Whitman) writes:
>My primary question at this point is - - -
>As the owner of a 2000HD why would I (Joe Average User) want to upgrade to
>the Fatter AGNUS (Read - what can it do for me).
> Why would I want to upgrade to the ECS.  What functionality would
>I get that I currently do not have, or what would be improved?

Well.. the reason to upgrade is that the ECS gives you MORE! And that's all we
ever want right? MoRe!

It let's you use MORE memory for the graphics chips, it gives you MORE
resolution modes.

It costs MORE money! ;-)

Besides if you don't get ECS, then when software comes out that takes advantage
of it, you won't be able to run it.

Get ECS just to stay current with Amiga's hardware capabilities. The same
reason you should upgrade to the new versions of Workbench when they come out:

                    Keep up or get left in the dust.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
If we weren't supposed to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a can.