[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 2000 keyboards

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (07/06/89)

I find myself in need of a new keyboard (Remember:  Keep chocalate milk
away from your Amiga ;-) for a 2000.  I've heard of other keyboards available
for the Amiga, other than the Stock 2000 type.  If anyone has any suggestions
or recommendations on keyboards, i'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know.

One thing that really bothers me about the 2000s keyboard is that they put the
escape key all the way up in the left hand corner.  I usr Manxs 'Z' editor,
and am always having to reach for the escape key.  it would be really nice to
have the escape key where the the caps-lock key is now...  I guess I'll try
some experimentation to see if I can get an HP keyboard to work with my Amiga.

Thanks
Sean

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/08/89)

In Message <5500034@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) writes:

>I find myself in need of a new keyboard (Remember:  Keep chocalate milk
>away from your Amiga ;-) for a 2000.

  I recently developed keyboard problems due to my 11 mo. old daughter helping
  me do some code work. What I did was disassemble the keyboard, removing the
  plastic case and cable. Then I took the actual keyboard portion and placed
  it in the tub under 3" of water w/some head & shoulders in there. Pressed
  all the keys and moved it around to ensure proper cleaning. After 48 hrs to
  dry, I assembled it and is been working like new ever since.

  Of course your mileage may vary.....

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (07/10/89)

>  it in the tub under 3" of water w/some head & shoulders in there. Pressed
>  all the keys and moved it around to ensure proper cleaning. After 48 hrs to
>  dry, I assembled it and is been working like new ever since.

I'll try anything once (Twice, if I like it ;-).  I did try cleaning it out
with alcahol, and degreaser.  I had some really strange problems, though.
I tried re-soldering all the contacts for that key.  No dice.  Ok, so I
thought.  I've got an extra Alt key.  I'll just switch them.  The alt key
still works, and the Amiga key is still dead.  Kinda seems to indicate bigger
and better problems with it.

Sean