[comp.sys.amiga] ST296N Interleave

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (07/03/89)

In article <727@orbit.UUCP>, baxt@pnet51.cts.com (Bill Backstrom) writes:
> I have a B2000 with a 2090 and a ST296N (85 meg SCSI). I'm running
> 1.3, definitely using FFS (512 byte blocks) and version 34.4 of
> hddisk.
>
> Diskperf gives me a reads of about 80K bytes/sec and writes of 155K
> bytes/s for 32K blocks. I've also had an ST125 (20 meg ST-506) on the
> controller and got reads of 165K bytes/s and writes of 120K bytes/s.
> Nothing special is going on - no hi-res with overscan and interlace,
> etc.
> I have tried different interleaves, another 2090 card, and various
> partition sizes. Nothing has improved the performance. The only
> unusual thing I've noticed apart from the low data transfer rates is
> that I could not prep the drive with my controller, I had to use my
> dealer's 2090A.
> Bill Backstrom
> UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!baxt
> ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!baxt@nosc.mil
> INET: baxt@pnet51.cts.com

Are you sure you actually got the interleaves you asked for?
Which ones did you try?

You may be having trouble because of S/W limitations or bugs,
or just through missing some subtlety in the documentation.
(There *is* documentation right? :-)

The fact that the ST125 came out faster shows you definitely
have something sub-optimal with the 296N setup.

You probably need an interleave of 4:1 for that drive.  I recall
a post a while back on C.S.A where someone said he'd managed to
get optimal performance on a ST296N at 3:1 interleave, but it took
some work.  I believe he had a 2090(A?), and I'm not sure what else it
took to get the interleave down.  Maybe an A2620 & setCPU & tuning
the cache buffers?

I have a 2000 with a 2620, and a 296N on a Comspec SA2000 non-DMA
SCSI controller.  On a stock 2000 Comspec recommends an interleave of
5:1 for the 296N and that comes as the default.
I checked it, and that really is
the optimal interleave for that combination.  With the 2620, setCPU,
and a new PROM for the SA2000 that had optimizations for the '020,
I found I now get optimal performance (diskperf around 250K/s for
reading & writing) with an interleave of 4:1.

It seems that the ST296N needs a peculiarly high interleave for
either controller.  I haven't the faintest idea why.  Any guesses?

P.S. I left this cross posted to C.S.A & C.S.A.T. because I think
it's a .tech issue what's peculiar about the workings of the ST296N
that makes it different from most drives, but a user issue to note
that if you have one or get one you can expect best results with a high
interleave.  Continuations on this thread should go to whichever group
is most appropriate.
--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Champeaux) (07/04/89)

In article <759@censor.UUCP> hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) writes:
>In article <727@orbit.UUCP>, baxt@pnet51.cts.com (Bill Backstrom) writes:
>> I have a B2000 with a 2090 and a ST296N (85 meg SCSI). I'm running
>> 1.3, definitely using FFS (512 byte blocks) and version 34.4 of
>> hddisk.
>>
>> Diskperf gives me a reads of about 80K bytes/sec and writes of 155K
>> bytes/s for 32K blocks. I've also had an ST125 (20 meg ST-506) on the
>> I have tried different interleaves, another 2090 card, and various
>> partition sizes. Nothing has improved the performance. The only
>> Bill Backstrom
>
>You probably need an interleave of 4:1 for that drive.  I recall
>a post a while back on C.S.A where someone said he'd managed to
>get optimal performance on a ST296N at 3:1 interleave, but it took
>
>I have a 2000 with a 2620, and a 296N on a Comspec SA2000 non-DMA
>SCSI controller.  On a stock 2000 Comspec recommends an interleave of
>5:1 for the 296N and that comes as the default.
>I found I now get optimal performance (diskperf around 250K/s for
>reading & writing) with an interleave of 4:1.
>
>It seems that the ST296N needs a peculiarly high interleave for
>either controller.  I haven't the faintest idea why.  Any guesses?
>
>that makes it different from most drives, but a user issue to note
>that if you have one or get one you can expect best results with a high
>interleave. ...

>Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)

That's Funny, I have a HardFrame 2000 and a ST296N and diskperf is telling
me that with 32k buffers, I'm getting 655K reads and 291K writes.
The sheet that came with the drive said that it could handle an interleave
of 1 and the manual for the HardFrame said to use an interleave of 1.
Actually it said it was fast enough to keep up with all drives and to
use an interleave of 1 for all drives.

I was using GVP's Impact2000 before, a non-DMA controller.  It was giving
me some rather depressing transfer rates.  I was only getting 120k reads
and writes.  This really annoyed me because my Supra 20 Meg drive for my
1000, was getting 143K reads and writes, and that was with a 65 ms drive.
GVP's software didn't let you change the interleave for the drive, but the
HardFrame's format program told me that the drive had been formatted with an
interleave of 1.  I might have gotten decent transfer rates with the GVP if it
had only let me change the interleave.  GVP's installation software might be
easy to use, but it lacks things like not being able to set the interleave.
With a non-DMA controller, that's very important.  It didn't even come with a
park utilitiy.  Thank God the 296N is an auto parking drive.  While I was
waiting for my 296N, I thought about putting in my miniscribe 20 Meg, but
when I didn't see a park command, I called GVP to ask how to park the
drive.  They said they were working on a program but they hadn't finished
it yet.  I though it was kind of curious that they didn't have a park
command, since the miniscribe 8425S was on the list of drives they said
work with the Impact 2000.  The 8425S has to be parked before moving it
and if you can't park it, you're pretty much screwed.

Anyhow, I'm supprised that the 2090 and the 2090a aren't blazing along with
the 296N.  It's a fairly fast drive, but a DMA controller should be able
to keep up with it without any problem.

Rich Champeaux (rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org)

In article <759@censor.UUCP> hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) writes:
>> I have tried different interleaves, another 2090 card, and various
>> partition sizes. Nothing has improved the performance. The only
>> unusual thing I've noticed apart from the low data transfer rates is
>> that I could not prep the drive with my controller, I had to use my
>> dealer's 2090A.

>Are you sure you actually got the interleaves you asked for?
>Which ones did you try?
>You probably need an interleave of 4:1 for that drive.

	The A2090(a) driver, when told by prep to format the whole disk,
uses (I think) 0 for the interleave.  This lets it default to whatever the
drive thinks is best.  Sounds like it's defaulting to too low a number
on the 296N (or maybe the driver is telling it to use interleave 1, but I doubt
it).

	Note that the "Interleave = x" in a mountlist has no effect - this
parameter is not low-level interleave, and currently is ignored (and should
not be set to anything other than 0).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering.  Keeper of AmigaDos.
 {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup

baxt@pnet51.cts.com (Bill Backstrom) (07/07/89)

>You probably need an interleave of 4:1 for that drive.

Does anyone know how to change the interleave used by the A2090(a)
driver. The prep program with the A2090 doesn't offer any options for
setting interleave and the Interleave entry of the Mountlist isn't
used.

Is it possible to use a different controller (GVP maybe) to format the
drive and have it work with a A2090?

BTW, my ST296N did come with a "Universal" Installation Manual. I
guess "universal" refers to computers since IBM PCs are mentioned.
Unfortunately the ST296N wasn't mentioned at all. The drive data sheet
also lacked detail such as number of heads and tracks. I understand
that knowing the physical geometry of a SCSI drive isn't critical on
the amiga, but I would think that kind of data should be provided.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

balzer@frambo.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (07/11/89)

In article <58224@linus.UUCP>, rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Champeaux) writes...

}
}Anyhow, I'm supprised that the 2090 and the 2090a aren't blazing along with
}the 296N.  It's a fairly fast drive, but a DMA controller should be able
}to keep up with it without any problem.
}
}Rich Champeaux (rachamp@mbunix.mitre.org)

Rich is quite right to be astonished, the 2090x is definitivly able to keep
up and deliver speeds up to 1.2 MB/sec. In my HD controller review (a new
revision is coming out in about 3 weeks) the 2090 delivered well over
500 KB/sec with a Rodime SCSI drive. With a CDC Wren, several users reported
speeds over 1 MB/sec (read). The 2090 handles an interleave of 1 with no
problems.

Something very subtle with Bill's setup is wrong, too bad these airline
tickets are that expensive, I would like to drop by and investigate this
phenomen myself. :-)

Regards,

- <CB>
R, don'tcha love it?
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > EMail: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!CB -OR- CB@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  E-Net: FRAMBO::BALZER | Home-Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ PMail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.