[comp.sys.amiga] Teco Emacs

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (07/06/89)

In article <20131@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>I still have the ITS-style EMACS running on two of my DEC-20 systems and,

You do?! Oh, boy! You know, years ago I wrote a little animation of a
guy juggling three balls in Teco Emacs once. I'll dig it up and bring
it down to you and we'll compare it with the Amiga Juggler. :-) Ok, so
it was only character graphics, I was proud of it...

>purposes, is more featureful and reliable.  The #^$%^& stack dumps from the
                                                 ^^^^^^

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm so rusty on my TECO that I can't
figure out what this does.
	Doug

P.S. To those of you who've never heard of TECO, none of the above is
a joke...just about any sequence of characters would do *something*
interesting in TECO. It was sort of an editor that evolved into a programming
language; that's how EMACS ended up getting written as TECO macro's.
TECO used so many bizarre control & punctuation characters for important
commands that TECO macro's usually greatly resembled line noise. Very hard
to properly indent, too, since tabs were an executable command...
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/11/89)

In article <417@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:

>>The #^$%^& stack dumps from the [...]
>     ^^^^^^

>I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm so rusty on my TECO that I can't
>figure out what this does.

heh....

>P.S. To those of you who've never heard of TECO, none of the above is
>a joke...just about any sequence of characters would do *something*
>interesting in TECO. It was sort of an editor that evolved into a
>programming language; that's how EMACS ended up getting written as
>TECO macro's.  TECO used so many bizarre control & punctuation
>characters for important commands that TECO macro's usually greatly
>resembled line noise. Very hard to properly indent, too, since tabs
>were an executable command...

TECO seriously DOES look like line noise...  I remember writing a TECO
program to renumber BASIC programs, about 6 years ago.  It worked
quite well, caught all references (including on goto/gosub) and was
very small.  I still have a listing of it, but can't understand the
code any more.  Given a reason, I could decipher it with some work, as
I still have some TECO manuals as well, but it doesn't seem
worthwhile.  I DO remember the algorithym I used, on the other hand.
(and I didn't make the program *totally* illegible...  I included
several carriage returns when I didn't need to!)

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America