[comp.sys.amiga] SCSI disks

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (Dr. R. Chandra) (06/16/89)

I often have the need for a dictionary while reading UseNet, not only
for checking on my spelling while writing articles and e-mail replies,
but also for looking up the many new words I learn from reading the
articles on the net.  It is likely that even some of the
highest-capacity hard disks could not hold a sufficient amount of
information for a decent abridged dictionary.  I cannot remember what
specific works were put on compact disc by (I think it was) MicroSoft,
but I think one of them was a dictionary.

Since seemingly the most popular way of adding a hard disk to an Amiga
system (of almost any flavor) is to add it through an SCSI interface,
and SCSI is not just a hard disk interface, I was wondering if there
are any compact disc readers (CD ROMdrives) that can be attached to an
SCSI port.

Also, has anyone developed a general device driver for
SCSI?  One could OpenDevice(SCSI_NAME, SCSI_dev_num, &IOReqBlk, 0) and
address any physical device number attached to the interface.  Are the
commands the same to write/read/etc. to all devices?  I thought they would be.
Of course, each device will have its own specific private commands (it
wouldn't be appropriate to format a compact disc, at least not until
writable ones are more prevalent, such as THOR).

Given something like that, and the layout of the dictionary disc, I
could write my own popup dictionary lookup program.  I dislike having
to manually look up the words when I know that a computer can do it
so much faster and more easily!
---
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                      _ _
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                     ////
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                    ////
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                   ////
In the jungle                   _ _   ////
The silicon jungle              \\\\ ////
The process sleeps tonight       \\\////
                                  \_X_/
ugkamins@sunybcs.UUCP   (UnderGraduate john KAMINSki)

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/20/89)

The C-Ltd controller provides a SCSI.library that seems to allow
you to do something similar to what you want.  I have not tried
playing with it, but I believe that to a large extent the SCSI
read/write stuff is the same. Much like device I/O on the Amiga;
there may be special requirements for particular devices, but
it should be close enough that you can write code to handle
many SCSI devices. -- Darren

In article <6560@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu (Dr. R. Chandra) writes:
>Also, has anyone developed a general device driver for
>SCSI?  One could OpenDevice(SCSI_NAME, SCSI_dev_num, &IOReqBlk, 0) and
>address any physical device number attached to the interface.  Are the
>commands the same to write/read/etc. to all devices?  I thought they would be.
>Of course, each device will have its own specific private commands (it
>wouldn't be appropriate to format a compact disc, at least not until
>writable ones are more prevalent, such as THOR).

	THe new scsidirect spec covers this and does what you want.  The
A590, A2091 (NOT A2090A yet, maybe sometime soon), Microbotics HF, GVP, and
one or two others support the spec.  More will, hopefully (like the A2090).
It allows sending scsi commands/data/etc, getting error codes back, etc.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (07/05/89)

In article <7195@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	THe new scsidirect spec covers this and does what you want.  The
>A590, A2091 (NOT A2090A yet, maybe sometime soon), Microbotics HF, GVP, and
>one or two others support the spec.  More will, hopefully (like the A2090).
>It allows sending scsi commands/data/etc, getting error codes back, etc.

Does the GVP really support this spec? All Information I had about these
specs I took from the Lattice-C include file "scsidisk.h". The scsidev that
came on the disk with my autoboot eproms didn't support it. But I got a new
hddisk.device (probably the same as on Autoboot roms) which works great
with the new specs.

/* -------------------------- SG (Simeon Graphics) ---------------------- */
/* Peter Simeon             |       //                             //     */
/* UUCP: ...visinfo@bernina |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */
/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */

In <629@becker.UUCP>, douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) writes:
>In article <1493@ethz.UUCP> visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) writes:
>>In article <7195@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>>	THe new scsidirect spec covers this and does what you want.

>Where does one get a copy of this spec??? Enquiring minds want to know:-)

It is part of the includes for 1.3. The file is called scsidisk.i or
scsidisk.h, and can be had in the 'Native Developer Upgrade' package from CBM.

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (07/08/89)

In article <1493@ethz.UUCP> visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) writes:
>In article <7195@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>	THe new scsidirect spec covers this and does what you want.  The

Where does one get a copy of this spec??? Enquiring minds want to know:-)

			   <<<Doug>>>

                           douglee@becker

In <633@becker.UUCP>, douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) writes:

>>>Where does one get a copy of this spec??? Enquiring minds want to know:-)
>>
>>It is part of the includes for 1.3. The file is called scsidisk.i or
>>scsidisk.h, and can be had in the 'Native Developer Upgrade' package from CBM.
>>
>Actually, I have seen the new includes and was hoping to find something
>a little less cryptic and a little more tutorial (such as an AmigaMail article)

I understand. Problem is, you probably won't see anything much on it for a
while yet. I am currently awaiting another controller card so I can mess with
SCSIDirect a little less dangerously than I am now. When I do, perhaps I can
throw something together for the net.

>BTW Thank you Larry for posting MaxCLI a while back. It assembles and runs
>beautifully.           <<<Doug>>>

No problem.. I had fun testing that one. :-)

-larry

--
Real Amiga hackers write printer drivers using Metascope.

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (07/11/89)