[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Networking/ArcNet

bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) (07/09/89)

Hello Everyone,
     This is my first post to the net, so if I do anything wrong,
don't flame me too much. :-)

     My question is this: Does anyone know anything about the
availability of the A560 or A2060 cards? These are supposed to
be ArcNet cards being developed by CBM. ArcNet networking
capability is the one thing that would allow me to work a few
Amiga's into the bigger picture where I work. We install a lot
of networks, and a lot of the applications the customers want
could be easily handled by an Amiga. With an ArcNet card, and
Novell Netware software, this could become a possibility.
     Also, what about the software being developed to work with
these cards? The devcon info file I read said that Novell Netware
was what was being worked on. Amiga World also had a little
column about this... Is it just gonna be software that is
'compatible' with Novell's product, or is it being developed by
them/in conjunction with them?

Thanks in advance for any help/info anyone can give me!

In article <787@medsys.UUCP> bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:
>     My question is this: Does anyone know anything about the
>availability of the A560 or A2060 cards? These are supposed to
>be ArcNet cards being developed by CBM.

At CeBIT in Germany, OXXI was showing the software they developed
for the Arcnet card. I think at the time it was a "technology preview"
NOT CURRENLY FOR SALE, etc., etc.   I think this is still the case.

>     Also, what about the software being developed to work with
>these cards? The devcon info file I read said that Novell Netware
>was what was being worked on. Amiga World also had a little
>column about this... Is it just gonna be software that is
>'compatible' with Novell's product, or is it being developed by
>them/in conjunction with them?

I believe the CeBIT demos included networking with a PC server running
Novell netware. Anybody from Germany that was at CeBIT wants to comment?
The last InfoWorld commented that CBM is getting into "Personal Netware".

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (07/10/89)

In article <18361@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

| The last InfoWorld commented that CBM is getting into "Personal Netware".

I too saw that, but didn't consider the source very reliable.  ;-)
Just what is "Personal Netware" and how could it fit in the Amiga?  The
column explicitly said Amiga and not Colt PC-clones.

--
Jim Wright

In article <1185@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) writes:
>In article <18361@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>| The last InfoWorld commented that CBM is getting into "Personal Netware".
>
>I too saw that, but didn't consider the source very reliable.  ;-)
>Just what is "Personal Netware" and how could it fit in the Amiga?

I believe Novell coined the "Personal Netware" term (tm?) to refer to the
type of connectivity of their network offerings.

balzer@frambo.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (07/11/89)

In article <18361@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes...
>In article <787@medsys.UUCP> bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:
>>Availability of the A560 or A2060 cards?
>
>At CeBIT in Germany, OXXI was showing the software they developed
>for the Arcnet card. I think at the time it was a "technology preview"
>NOT CURRENLY FOR SALE, etc., etc.   I think this is still the case.
>
>I believe the CeBIT demos included networking with a PC server running
>Novell netware. Anybody from Germany that was at CeBIT wants to comment?

Well, I'm not sure if I want to, but at least I CAN comment. :-)

But first of Marco, if you want some responses from Germany or other parts
of the world, how about setting this ridiculous "Distribution:" field to
a value like "net" or "world"? I get News from an US site, but "regular"
UseNetters over here never saw your question!
-Climbing on soapbox-
PLUUUHEEEZEEE, for the sake of the world wide Amiga community, don't set
your distribution field to such backwater places like us,na, etc.
Thank you for your support. :-)
-Stepping down-

Where was I before that passionate urges swept me away? Ah, the ArcNet stuff.

Yes, I saw the setup at CeBIT (this was on the 2nd floor of the booth and not
for the general public, but being a CBM employee during CeBIT's has it's
advantages...)
The setup consisted of one PC-60 (386 machine by CBM) acting as fileserver
and an A2500 and A500 connected to it with the above mentioned cards.
The whole shebang worked quite well and relativly fast, the remote disks
showed nicely as icons, etc...
The problem with it (at that time) was that you needed a PC (I've to wash
my mouth soon) as fileserver.
Hopefully someone from CBM with more knowledge and the right to share it
with us can shed some more light on this.

Regards,

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > EMail: ...!decwrl!frambo.dec.com!CB -OR- CB@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  E-Net: FRAMBO::BALZER | Home-Phone: +49 6150 4151 (CET!)
------------ PMail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.