[comp.sys.amiga] Downloading binary files...

kiron@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) (07/09/89)

Hi everyone!  I have a major problem downloading anything to my 2500...
here are the details...

I want to try to download ARC so I can d/l other files... I am using
Handshake as my tcomm. program.  If I select Xmodem or Ymodem, the file
size I receive is larger than the real file size.  If I select Kermit
transfer the file size is the same...However no matter WHAT protocol I
use, when I attempt to run it from CLI or SHELL, I get the message
"File is not an object module"...
How do I go about fixing this.... (this happens whether I d/l from
our server, or from a local BBS)...

Thanks

Kiron

 Kiron D. Bondale       Concordia University, Mtl., Quebec, Canada
 "Never mourn Black Omne" ___Habitat:kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA

In article <959@clyde.Concordia.CA> kiron@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron
Bondale) writes:
>Hi everyone!  I have a major problem downloading anything to my 2500...
>here are the details...
>
>I want to try to download ARC so I can d/l other files... I am using
>Handshake as my tcomm. program.  If I select Xmodem or Ymodem, the file
>size I receive is larger than the real file size.  If I select Kermit
>transfer the file size is the same...However no matter WHAT protocol I
>use, when I attempt to run it from CLI or SHELL, I get the message
>"File is not an object module"...

Well if the file sizes match, then it means you've probably downloaded the ARC
program properly. But the problem of it not running seems to point that you've
run into the dreaded catch-22:

The file you downloaded is ARCED. So you need ARC to un-ARC it, but you don't
have ARC.
(why do people UPload ARC files that are ARCED? it's STUPID!!!)

solutions:

Get a copy of ARC from a friend or user group, or buy a Fish disk with it on
it.

Or find a copy that is not ARCED. PAK is a form of Archiving that unPAKS itself
when ran from CLI. So look for a ARC.PAK file. Try Deep Thought BBS in North
Carolina 1-919-471-6436 I think I saw it there once. select file search and
look for 'ARC'

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
If we weren't supposed to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a can.

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subramanyan) (07/12/89)

   Another BBS that positively has unarced arc utilities is Amiga Lore in
   Tallahassee 1-904-561-6708.  In addition to arc, it has zoo.arc. pkax.zoo,
   unarc, arc.zoo, etc.  In any case, you should find a non-compressed
   utility on this system.
   --- Prem S.